My first volcano!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Experiences like that only reinforce my belief in using thermometers, be it an infrared or a digital one with a probe. I've only had a lye volcano due to the beer I used. I had reduced that sucker for about 30 or longer too. I was lucky I was outside when I mixed it.

I usually have beeswax (2-3%) in my soaps too and find it a bit tricky to find the right temp -- you can't let it cool too much because the wax starts to solidify. I have escaped the volcano so far, but I can totally see it happening one day :| .

Soap on a stick, quick trace and volcano, for me, all happen when my mixture is way too warm. I soap cold, room temp or slightly warm, about 90deg.

Lye mixture has to be room temp, I hate waiting an hour or two for the lye mixture to decrease, and so, I have fun things to deal with, all temp related.
When I don't have masterbatched lye solution ready, I put the container (don't use glass) with newly mixed lye solution into a cold water bath as soon as I'm sure the lye is completely dissolved. I can cool it down pretty quickly that way.

When I don't have masterbatched lye solution ready, I put the container (don't use glass) with newly mixed lye solution into a cold water bath as soon as I'm sure the lye is completely dissolved. I can cool it down pretty quickly that way.

Yes, I have a container with my master batch, I started that this last year after realizing that it’s just easier to have a few gallons of lye solution laying around, in a safe, secure place and labeled, instead of being impatient. (I’m slow on the uptake) I have actually done some swirls with soap that look ok. Haven’t had a problem with plopping my soap into a mold from temperature issues since.
:)

I love master batching my lyes.

I unmolded the soap this morning. Not a pretty sight. The top half looked like sheep's wool and was quite hard. The bottom half looked like regular soap but was quite oily and soft. There were also some DOS. I put it all into my curing rack and will forget about it for two or three months.

For my next soap, I will wait til things cool down a bit before combining.
Was this soap just made? Impossible for DOS to appear that quickly if it is. Something else is going on. perhaps from overheating?

Likely to hot, I got a temperature gun on amazon for like $8 and it's been a great tool for taking temps of lye and oils. As for the ruined batch, just chop it up and remelt it, stirring it frequently and then once it's glossy like vaseline just pour it back in the mold. It should rebatch fine.

Back