My First Time Using Melt & Pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just cut my first M & P soap bars and they feel rather sticky! :-( Is this common? I used Stephenson SLS Free Crystal Soap Base. Any input & suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TY

Is the humidity high in your area? The glycerin in M&P attracts moisture from the atmosphere. Having said that, I have never used Stephenson SLS Free Crystal Soap Base.
:)

Melt n Pour soap is high in glycerin and will feel sticky especially when just recently made. I find my bars are less sticky after maybe a couple weeks. You will find that some kinds of MP are more stickier than others.

Always wrap your MP soap soon after unmolding. I usually do not leave my MP out longer than a couple days before wrapping in shrink wrap or cling wrap. If the humidity is low, I am able to leave the MP soap out in a covered container up to a week or two before wrapping.

Just a heads up-- since MP is so sticky, it will attract every speck of lint, hair, pet hair from your clothing. Fingerprints will show up like crazy. I wear gloves to avoid fingerprints, and clean clothes to avoid the lint/hair etc.

Is the humidity high in your area? The glycerin in M&P attracts moisture from the atmosphere. Having said that, I have never used Stephenson SLS Free Crystal Soap Base.
:)
Thank-You for your response! I did turn the Dehumidifier on and moved it right in front of the soap shelve and this helped them to dry nicely. I did wrap one bar immediately after cutting but it just became wetter and stickier. I removed the wrapper and it dried up nicely with the dehumidifier. :)

Melt n Pour soap is high in glycerin and will feel sticky especially when just recently made. I find my bars are less sticky after maybe a couple weeks. You will find that some kinds of MP are more stickier than others.

Always wrap your MP soap soon after unmolding. I usually do not leave my MP out longer than a couple days before wrapping in shrink wrap or cling wrap. If the humidity is low, I am able to leave the MP soap out in a covered container up to a week or two before wrapping.

Just a heads up-- since MP is so sticky, it will attract every speck of lint, hair, pet hair from your clothing. Fingerprints will show up like crazy. I wear gloves to avoid fingerprints, and clean clothes to avoid the lint/hair etc.
My daughter who poured huge amounts of m&p when she was selling always cured her m&p bars on baker's racks with fans for at least a week before wrapping and up to two weeks. This prevented her bars from future sweating. She used Stephenson and Bases from Essentials by Catalina only. She normally purchased 2 pallets a year of m&p base from Essentials by Catalina so she knew what she was doing. :D LOL, I on the other hand could not work with m&p base to save my life. The stuff hates me...:nonono:although I like to use the bars.

Latest posts

Back