My first Soleseife Recipe - Is it alright?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcs

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first attempt at making Brine bar (soleseife). Below is what I plan to mix.

water to lye ratio - 2:1
water - 327g, Lye - 163g

Brine - 25% => 80g Arabian sea salt

50%CO, 40% tallow, 10% castor Oil Total oil wt 1000g

Superfat 15-20%

FO: 15ml

Color: betacarotene tablets for yellow

Does it look good?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

I don't think you have enough water to dissolve 80g salt. If I understand my research salt can only be 26% of a water solution, after that it cannot dissolve fully. (But I confess, for an engineer I am incredibly math disabled. My usual math problem solving skills involve 1) reading math problem and 2) put head on desk and cry.)

So to dissolve 163g lye you need 163g water (lye needs 1:1 to fully dissolve).
327g - 163g = 164g
164g * .26 (this would give you the 26% amount for salt) = 42g salt

According to my calc, you will need to either decrease your salt by about half, or you can add more water to dissolve 80g salt. [Edited to remove suggested amount of water because it was so-so-so wrong.]

Someone with more soleseife experience should chime in. I have one failed batch and one successful batch under my belt, and this is how I calculated to find the success - that doesn't mean it is right ;)

I find you can only dissolve 25% salt in water. The amount of water is going to depend on how much salt you want to use. Full water per soap calc equals more salt. I soap with a 50/50 solution so I dissolve 25% salt in the lye solution and 25% in the remainder of liquid. Any undissolved salt can go right into the batter. It it were me I would go with 60% CO 20% Tallow, 15% castor with a 10-12% superfat. This is similiar to my soleseif soap I make. I use a 30% lye concentration so I do not get in quite as much brine as you could get with a 27% lye concentration

Back