My first soapmaking video

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuneP

Reaction score
Well, it took a few frustrating days trying to make my first soap making video using two different video editing software programs, neither of which is supposed to work with Windows 10; but after many crashes and my stubborness, I managed to eke out a basic, pretty feeble first attempt at video making.

The end of the video has a photo insert of the finished soap. Hopefully some of the currently available, reasonably priced video editors will catch up with the new Windows 10 software. Meantime, I'll play with the old Microsoft Movie Maker and hopefully I can make some better looking videos in the future.

If you care to view it, here's the link:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnmJN04o8jw[/ame]

Last edited:
Whatever you did, worked! It's now showing up in your first post. BUT the 2 links in your second post lead to YT creator page. You can probably delete them since the video is showing in your first post.

Very nice for a first try. I love your wave mold!

Last edited:
I think technically it's good for what it is - the sound quality is okay and I didn't see any shaking of the camera and so on. I didn't watch it all, though. The angle of the camera, however, means that people can't really see what you're doing - if you imagine someone being there, they would lean over to see what is going on in that pot.

I didn't watch it all as the part that I find important in a soap making video is already over by the time the video starts - the batter is made! I would have made another video rather than posting a half-video, to be honest.

So glad you could finally make it work, June! I wish I had your perseverance. I'm sure you are going to put out much better videos in the future. Hope you get time to soap more.
Just a word of caution, I wouldn't really take the gloves off until I'm done molding as the batter is still raw with active lye at that point. That's the first thing I noticed.
I liked your video voice :).

Thanks everyone for all the reviews and very good constructive points.

As I said upfront, I knew it had flaws as a first attempt; but I feel good that I managed to figure out the camera, take the video and do basic editing. It took me days with dealing with several software crashes to get it done and I was no about to give up! Hopefully each one will get better as I learn more about this new camera and can find a decent, reasonably priced video editing software.

Also, I have to figure out how to raise up my tripod for a better view. My kitchen counter space is almost nil and in less than 6 weeks, they are coming in to rip out all these kitchen cabinets and put in more and new ones and hopefully then I'll be able to set up the camera behind me on the center island once I have places to store all the things that are on there now.

I agree about the gloves particularly if I put it up as an instructional video; but it was just a video for people to watch me making that particular soap in that new wave mold; but I will correct that omission in my next video. I did get the gloves on at one point, but didn't have them on in the beginning.

I need to find the way to add text. I tried to do that but it didn't work and that may be the problem of Microsofts movie maker not working with Windows 10; but I'll keep trying to learn the finer points of this video making and editing. Again, thanks for all the comments. They were very helpful!

I learned my lesson there - got a bit of lye on me from the handle and edited out the part where I had to deal with that!

It would be nice to get more time to make soap, but my husband condition has worsened and I'm finding it hard to do much of anything other than taking care of him, the house and our furry kids, and sneaking a few minutes of garden time for hand watering and pulling a few weeds.

I left my tools on the kitchen counter, hoping I would find a block of time to at least weigh out some ingredients, but with the hospice nurse coming this afternoon as well as the lady who helps bathe him, it doesn't look like today will be a day for soaping.

Time to make lunch!

So glad you could finally make it work, June! I wish I had your perseverance. I'm sure you are going to put out much better videos in the future. Hope you get time to soap more.
Just a word of caution, I wouldn't really take the gloves off until I'm done molding as the batter is still raw with active lye at that point. That's the first thing I noticed.
I liked your video voice :).

I hope your husband's health improves. You remind me of an old neighbor June, she was in your shoes, only she was much older, still did everything she could for her husband. Her strength inspired me so much. She said she's Irish.
ETA: I'm not in my right mind. She was Italian and I said Irish. Guess I need my afternoon nap pretty bad.

Last edited:
Hi June! I think it's wonderful to have a creative outlet to share your passions and hobbies. You tube is amazing that way isn't it? Every video will get better and better! Your finished soaps looked great. I agree with the rest, protect your hands and keep up the good work

Those parts would have been in the video; but unfortunately I thought this new video camera was on and it turned out that it wasn't on. It was my first time using this new camera and I thought with the shutter open and a view of the area, that it was taping!

I watch a lot of soaping videos and so many of them start about where my video started. In many, their lye water is made, oils mixed, and even additions like clay, cream, oats, etc. are already added. Unless the videomakers are going to be teaching basics, I can understand why they often start about the time they're adding the lye and fragrance oils. If you start from the very beginning of the process, you would have a very long video. And plus, there are plenty of "how to" soaping videos for those who want to see every step of the process.

Personally, I like to watch the videos for the creative parts and fortunately on you tube there's something for everyone. And saying that, I also enjoy the personalities of the many soap makers who are out there taking time to share their knowledge, make and edit and upload videos and then answer the many questions viewers ask. We have some great people soaping!

And thanks for the camera position help. I'm not sure I can get it in that position in my kitchen. I see other soapers who video from the vantage point I did, so maybe the answer is to zoom in a bit more and place some of my tools to the left of the mixing bowl, etc.

I think technically it's good for what it is - the sound quality is okay and I didn't see any shaking of the camera and so on. I didn't watch it all, though. The angle of the camera, however, means that people can't really see what you're doing - if you imagine someone being there, they would lean over to see what is going on in that pot.

I didn't watch it all as the part that I find important in a soap making video is already over by the time the video starts - the batter is made! I would have made another video rather than posting a half-video, to be honest.

I quite agree - if I want to watch swirling, I don't want to see oil melting - but then are you making a "soap making" video or a "swirl technique" video? The names and tags that you use can help make sure people find what they are looking for.

It's interesting to see how other soapers handle this. One soaper had a disclaimer that her videos weren't meant to instruct, but just there so people could watch her make soap.

I watched these videos for months before I made my first soap and I still watch a lot of them these days but more for the enjoyment level of watching other peoples creativity and enjoying their personalities.

I quite agree - if I want to watch swirling, I don't want to see oil melting - but then are you making a "soap making" video or a "swirl technique" video? The names and tags that you use can help make sure people find what they are looking for.

June, you give me hope that I may be able to make a video one day. I say that because you look like we may be of a similar age, and I've always felt that videos are only made by those who've grown up using a computer. I have a couple of friends who are interested in making soap, but far enough away that getting together isn't practical. They asked me to recommend some good videos, and every time I look at one to decide whether or not to send it, I see some glaring error that makes me uncomfortable. So I thought it would be a good idea to make an instructional video for them. I have cameras that would work, but it's always what comes after that, that has me intimidated. But like I said, you've given me hope that once things settle down, and I have some time, I'll be able to figure this out. Thanks for sharing!

You're never too old is my motto. I'm 75 and I think learning new things and letting ourselves be challenged is good for us seniors! :) So go for it! Who knows, we may just get some of the older people who sit in front of TV's all day to get off their rumps and try something new. :)

June, you give me hope that I may be able to make a video one day. I say that because you look like we may be of a similar age, and I've always felt that videos are only made by those who've grown up using a computer. I have a couple of friends who are interested in making soap, but far enough away that getting together isn't practical. They asked me to recommend some good videos, and every time I look at one to decide whether or not to send it, I see some glaring error that makes me uncomfortable. So I thought it would be a good idea to make an instructional video for them. I have cameras that would work, but it's always what comes after that, that has me intimidated. But like I said, you've given me hope that once things settle down, and I have some time, I'll be able to figure this out. Thanks for sharing!

...I've always felt that videos are only made by those who've grown up using a computer.

I don't think most of the soap video makers out there grew up using a computer...

Ione from EvesGardenSoaps, Cathy from Soaping 101, the ladies at Soap Lily, are all in an age range that never thought you would have a computer in your house, much less one in your pocket.

The trick is learning to edit them. I am working on learning a new software that is free called Lightworks. Once I get a handle on that I want to do a tutorial for this site that cuts all the extra stuff and focuses on what soap videos want it to do. :)

You're never too old is my motto. I'm 75 and I think learning new things and letting ourselves be challenged is good for us seniors! :) So go for it! Who knows, we may just get some of the older people who sit in front of TV's all day to get off their rumps and try something new. :)

I keep trying to tell my mother this. I have proved it too her so many times... Sigh.

I remember when her job was about to be computerized. (This was in the mid 90's I think) She was terrified. So I bought her a VERY basic PC, and now that she is retired (and several computers later) she can't imagine life with out it.

It was the same when I got her a cell phone, because I did not want her driving without on in case her car broke down. Now I never talk to her, she just texts me.

The last was a Kindle. She had started reading alot, and I told her she could afford new books more often if she went with that. She argued until I just bot it for her. Now she won't be without it.

Now I need to get her into the idea of a laptop... haha

I don't think most of the soap video makers out there grew up using a computer...

Ione from EvesGardenSoaps, Cathy from Soaping 101, the ladies at Soap Lily, are all in an age range that never thought you would have a computer in your house, much less one in your pocket.

The trick is learning to edit them. I am working on learning a new software that is free called Lightworks. Once I get a handle on that I want to do a tutorial for this site that cuts all the extra stuff and focuses on what soap videos want it to do. :)

I keep trying to tell my mother this. I have proved it too her so many times... Sigh.

I remember when her job was about to be computerized. (This was in the mid 90's I think) She was terrified. So I bought her a VERY basic PC, and now that she is retired (and several computers later) she can't imagine life with out it.

It was the same when I got her a cell phone, because I did not want her driving without on in case her car broke down. Now I never talk to her, she just texts me.

The last was a Kindle. She had started reading alot, and I told her she could afford new books more often if she went with that. She argued until I just bot it for her. Now she won't be without it.

I love the creative things we're able to do with computers. Maybe that's why I've never really gotten into social media....there are too many other useful things to do on the internet. I think that for someone who came to computers later in life, that I'm fairly computer savvy. I've learned mostly from trial and error, and have managed to find enough programs that are user friendly enough to allow me to do most of what I want to. Video editing is something I always thought about looking into once I had more time, and now that I'm retired, there's no excuse. So I am anxiously anticipating your tutorial whenever you get around to it. Especially since the program is free! It seems that soap videos would be a good place to learn editing, since they don't really require a lot of fancy stuff. A good set of basics would be a perfect place to start. I'm sure many of us would appreciate it. :D

P.S. Your mom is lucky to have such a thoughtful son!

Your mom is one lucky lady. I have a son like you - so loving and generous!

Can't wait to see your tutorial on that free software. Meantime, I'll search it out and download it and check it out. Thanks for posting that!

Back