My first soap

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Summi

Reaction score
Hi all!
While I am waiting on some of my supplies, I decided to have a go once I had my SB, digital scale and thermometer. I made a hot process soap (using double boiler method) with the following:
Olive 25%
Palmolein 30%
Coconut 20%
Castor 5%
Sunflower 15%
Kokum butter 5%

I used soapcalc and used their default 5% superfatting. I used an icecream tub for a mold. Sorry, I forgot to photograph the soap in the mold. Unmolded it after 24 hrs and cut.
How long should I cure? Also except the Kokum butter, all the oils were liquid. Is it necessary to have one solid oil ?

My First Soap.jpg

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your first soap! Nice!

I give all my soaps at least 4 weeks to cure. That includes HP soaps. Actually, my HP soaps get about 6 weeks snce they often have more water in them. A good indicator is when your bars stop losing water - just pick a bar and note its weigh every week. Also, try out a different bar and note how it feels each week. That way you can experience exactly how the soap is changing during cure.

You don't necessarily need any solid oils in a recipe. Castille is made exclusively with olive oil. It takes a lot longer to get out of the mold though and needs a very long cure time to be nice... 6 months to a year. In general, soaps made without a fair percentage of solid oils will just take longer. In your recipe, CO would also be considered a solid oil.

topofmurrayhill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
For soaping purposes, your palm olein is probably pretty close in "hardness" to ordinary palm oil, even if it's liquid at room temperature. Coconut is considered a hard oil as well but can melt in a warm room. Good work on your soap. Keep the pictures coming.

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations on your first soapy adventure.

Summi

Reaction score
@Snappyllama
Thanks! This one was also difficult getting out of the mold, hence I thought about the hard oils. Thanks about the weight tip, that'll really give me some idea about the curing process.

@topofmurrayhill
Thanks! You're probably right, Coconut oil freezes only in Dec-Jan where I live and I think Palmolein does too.

@Shunt2011
Thanks!!

@lisajudy2009
Thanks! I was going to do exactly that- cp castile soap. But then I thought since I am going to wait 1 yr for the curing, why not make a large batch and play with some colours!! SO while I am waiting for the molds and the colors, I did this 500 gm batch.

Latest posts