My first soap using salt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean

Reaction score
I don't know if you would call this a salt bar or not, but I was wanting to run the recipe past you to see if it sounds okay. I sort of made it up, using what I had on hand.

This is a RTCP Soap made on July 19

23 % Soybean Oil (liquid Vegetable Oil in a jug)
Coconut Oil 38% (76 Deg. solid)
35% Armour Lard
Castor Oil 4 % ( shorted this by l.04 gms. because that was all I had)

3 tsp. sea salt
3 tsp sugar syrup
pinch of silk

Lye 7.09 oz.
Water 18.24 oz.

Mica and Cedarwood FO

Poured and did swirling at light trace and had plenty of time to do so.

I unmolded after about 36 hours. It seems to be a tad bit "gummy" when I tried to bevel the bars. I think it is going to be okay after a bit more curing time. I am just wondering if I am going to have a very good bar of soap. I just put the salt in to try something different, don't know what the benefits are. I can post a pic. if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Jean

Yes, pictures please! I always enjoy seeing everyone's soap pictures. After I get a few more batches under my belt and get a batch that is "photogenic", I'll post some pictures myself, LOL.

Salt adds hardness to the soap. I mix up in advance about a pint of a simple sugar/salt solution, and use about 1 tablespoon PPO. I made a batch today, RTCP whipped in my stand mixer, and unmolded in 3-1-2 hours. The bars were still warm, but came right out of my TOG Slab Mold W/ HDPE Dividers!

Here is a bar Jean;

DSCF3526.jpg

DSCF3527.jpg

Paul :wink:

Paul, your soaps always look awesome. This one is no exception. Love the swirl and the texture! BTW, would you mind sharing the ratio on your sugar/salt liquid? I'd like to try that. Thanks, Paul.

I have posted a picture of my Cedarwood Salt Soap in the Gallery.
Jean

Forgot to ask Paul, why did I have to wait 36 hours before I could unmold my soap? Because I have heard you say before that you unmold really quick. BTW, I used a TOG slab mold also, with dividers. Notice my water amount. Could this be why?
Jean

Jean said:
Forgot to ask Paul, why did I have to wait 36 hours before I could unmold my soap? Because I have heard you say before that you unmold really quick. BTW, I used a TOG slab mold also, with dividers. Notice my water amount. Could this be why?
Jean

Jean, my soap in my TOG Slab Mold is hard based upon my recipe, the salt/sugar solution, the the way I RTCP now. I have a new method. Next time you are in town, stop by and I'll show you. I unmolded this batch today in 3 hours after pouring. I soap at a 32% solution. I used 45 ounces of oils/fats in this batch. I used 14 ounces of GM in this batch for the 45 ounces. I always cover with my lid for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours, then uncover after full gel, turn the ceiling fan on high to cool as quickly as possible.

Oooooooo.........nice looking bar you got there, Paul.

Digit

Back