My First Soap - Please Critique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Week 4 update. I've used this soap all week (same bar as previous) with now issues. The lather appears to be thicker with more small bubbles than before and my hands are no longer getting dry soon after use. My wife actually used the bar and liked it this morning. She has dryness complaints last time. I have ordered cocoa butter and palm oil for use in my next batch and will reduce the OO and canola down. My hardness numbers re looking better for the next batch. Just waiting on supplies.

I also have trimmed the bars up in to rectangles since the mold was more trapezoid in nature. Nothing like a plain, rustic look bar of scent free soap! Thanks again for all of the feedback on my posts. I spend a lot of time reading and the information you all provide is most valuable!

Well, my folks were over Friday night and noticed the box of soaps curing in my spare bathroom. Decided to give them two bars with instructions on harsh feedback if needed. To my surprise when I saw them this afternoon they've requested two more bars because they've liked them so much. Mom's even pressing for new batches with scent... (She's a member of bath and bodyworks anonymous). My aunt and grandmother are also on the "got to get a bar of that good soap" list. Never knew it would be such a hit but am stuck at a colorant stand still. Was looking for an herb for green but have read so much about fading and early DOS that I may have to wait on clays or oxides after Christmas... Or I can just make another log of uncolored in the mean time with some scent and my new and improved recipe. Will post pics... Thinking about white tea and ginger.

I hadn't read your thread before now and I've enjoyed it. Isn't it so exciting that people in your family like your creation? And that's great that the more-cured soap is being good to your skin. You can also try increasing the superfat and that may make all the difference too.

For green speckles I add dill or parsley, they survive CP. I'm interested in trying chlorella after seeing on here that is supposedly doesn't cause early DOS. (I've used spirulina and had it turn brown quickly). I've been working with indigo and yellow coconut oil in order to get green and it is HARD.

I don't use FOs so I can't give advice on them, other than that floral FOs are notorious for speeding things up or seizing.

I use EOs, ones that don't seem to make things tricky are: mints, lavender, litsea, citrus. However citrus fades a lot lot lot.

If you try HP you can add your scent after the cook and you don't have to worry about it making the batter seize, and if you wait for it to cool to 140 or so your citrus EOs stay strong. You pretty much HAVE to get sodium lactate in order to keep the HP soap from being dry mashed potatoes though.

HP is not very hard, sometimes it separates on me and the only thing to do is stick blend it back together (time or stirring do not work) and if anything goes weird just keep every part and consult us here.

chlorella works really well. I have some of my first bars coloured with chlorella that are over 3 months old, and still no DOS or fading.

you can use paprika, turmeric powder, cocoa powder or clays, as colourant. not as bright as micas or oxides, but it's something...

I'll have to check my local pharmacy for the chlorella to see if it's worth getting that over ordering a clay or oxide. The herbs you listed though are on my short list of things to grab at the grocery store! I also read that eyeshadow could be used. Being that it's Christmas I'm sure I could find some hideous green stuff on the cheap... Anybody ever tried that?

Soapy J. I can see you are addicted to Cold Process Soap making already. In my opinion, clay is the easiest way to color, natural and cheap.

I'll have to check my local pharmacy for the chlorella to see if it's worth getting that over ordering a clay or oxide. The herbs you listed though are on my short list of things to grab at the grocery store! I also read that eyeshadow could be used. Being that it's Christmas I'm sure I could find some hideous green stuff on the cheap... Anybody ever tried that?

I've read somewhere here about using eye shadow. I mean, most eye shadows are made of micas and oxides anyway.....

for me, chlorella is cheaper to buy than clays. clays are hard to get here, and they're REALLY expensive! clays are likely cheaper for you in Canada

If you have a grocery store that has a New Frontiers bulk section, see if they have a canister of red or green clay. You can buy just a few ounces which is really affordable as opposed to buying a full pound or a specialty packaged product. I have seen such canisters available in normal chain grocery stores (e.g., Safeway, Publix) as well as in small health food stores. They may also have canisters of other potential colorants like spirulina, herbs, spices and flowers.

I have made a couple batches of 60% Olive, 30% Coconut and 10% Castor oils. The bars are soft er than some of my other recipes, but I like this recipe. I've tried it with coconut milk to replace the water, and added some kaolin clay to another batch. The clay soap turned out super nice - my husband has fallen in love with handmade soap all over again!

The recipe you originally posted was outside or almost outside of the recommended ranges, so be careful there. You may not be pleased with your results. On SoapCalc, you can play around with your percentages to bring your values back within range. Or, try the 60/30/10 recipe I mentioned; those values are all within good ranges.

Latest posts

Back