My first soap batches

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatureandNurture

Reaction score
Batch #2, Calendula soap (no flowers), OO blend
soap-batch2.jpg

Batch #3, an attempt at green soap without additives... didn't work, but still a nice soap, a mix of OO, grapeseed, and avocado
soap-batch3.jpg

Batch #4, a new mold (too much soap) and tried a swirl with turmeric colorant... didn't like the look of the color (eeew!), still functional though, this was a lard/CO combo
soap-batch4.jpg

Batch #5, fixed the soap quantity problem, second attempt at green soap using natural additives... still didn't work (the all-elusive green soap quest!), a lard/CO/OO blend
soap-batch5.jpg

Batch #1 was made into laundry detergent (no pics) and batch #6 (tallow/CO soap!) is still in the mold, it's a brown/white swirl attempt. :D

I'm having a lot of fun with this. Most of the soaps smell great, look so-so (not as planned though), but work like a dream. Go figure.

if you want a very pretty green, i got one from using chlorella powder. it is a deep forest green color then i used a tiny amount and got a beautiful green. i will look to see if i can find the picture i posted of the results

That's a very nice green from the chlorella. The crumbling aspect worries me, but I still gotta try it. :D

I un-molded and cut my cocoa swirl tonight, the 'white' isn't as white as I'd expected, and there's a 'rim' of darker brown around what would have been the bottom of the mold. It looks really neat, but definitely not what I expected! I wouldn't have thought that tallow would result in a more translucent soap than lard, I think that's why the colors are 'off'.

i don't think the chlorella is what made it crumbly. i think it was the mold. i put it into a tiny loaf mold that seemed to make my castiles hard as rocks in one day. it is the only thing i can think of. i have used the chlorella in others and have been fine.

I love the look of all your soaps, but especially the swirled one with the turmeric. Two things I have learned here. One...give it time as things morph and change over the weeks to come. Two...what you find to be undesireable to you, others may like. I like it.

Lovely looking soaps, all newies? wow
I wouldn't have been game to show my dodgy first ten batches on here, they were so bad, but I was so so proud.
My hands actually had bubbles on them when I washed with one of them, so I was so thrilled! Like I said I had a really dodgy scale, I learnt that lesson the hard way.
Bought a new digital one and haven't looked back!

Your soaps look lovely and creamy and smooth. I think french green clay would give you the green you're after naturally, and adds appeal to the soap. Also, sometimes soaping with pomace olive oil, or grapeseed oil, or avocado oil can impart a green colour to your soap. As does cucumer pulp and lots of skins pulped.

I achieved a beautiful green (deep at first but cured to be a nice pale green) by using seaweed. My DH loves it. It must seem manly since its got flecks of seaweed through it :)

I think they look great! Especially the swirl.
Have you tried cucumber or avocado rind for the green color?

Latest posts

Back