My first soap batch with pictures

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadowHillFarmCT

Reaction score
this is my first ever soap and it's GM with no coloring but there is a white powder like covering on the top. I think I read alcohol spray would get rid of that - what is that from?

100_0507.jpg

100_0508.jpg

[/img]

There could be a tad of ash on it, but for the most part, it looks like the top did not gel, where the middle did. I made GM for the first time yesterday and got the same result. I kindof like it.

Is that why the Ash? Because the top didn't gel.. Hmm intersting..

I like it - it is really smooth and creamy. I am very excited. Can't wait to do more.

Ash and gelling are different. A good spray with rubbing alcohol will take care of the ash. Gelling has to do with the temperature.

It's been two days and the scent is really nice but not much lather yet. No zap..

So excited.....

this is my recipe

22oz palm oil
44oz olive oil
33oz of beef tallow

12oz lye
36oz goat milk (1/3 unfrozen and 2/3 slushy)
2oz lavendar essential oil.

It looks great. Can't believe it's your first batch and not only that, a milk soap! Well done! The white stuff is probably just ash and 90% Alcohol sprayed on top should help with it.

I am going to try GM Salt bars and GM with oatmeal this weekend. I will also use the CO for more sudz...

I don't have much oil left - galon of CO, gallon of Palm and 1/2 gal of OO..

The molds I have are wooden 6lb lol - its big or nothing. I've tried to keep my expense low until I know its all good and I can give it out for people to sample.

I need to save my farm and this is my last attemp - any advice is WELCOME...

Silicone bakeware works well for me. It's cheaper than the wooden molds, and I find that all my milk soaps just pop out with no lining, no greasing, just pop it in the freezer for a bit and out it comes.

Look around your house to find anything else that's "mold like". Ice cube trays, keyboard boxes, old drawers....just be creative and I'm sure you will be able to cut costs. Small batches are great for test batches since you won't waste much money on materials if it doesn't turn out. Before doing a 6lb batch of a new recipe, try a 1-2lb instead. Nothing is worse than using up the last of your _______ oil on a failed batch! Good luck and good job on your first batch!

Latest posts

Back