My First Snotty Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsSpaceship

Reaction score
Well, I finally understand what all the talk of snotty soap is about, and may I say that I would have been happy going the rest of my life without the experience. :sick:
I used Soap Queen's recipe for Shamrock CP recipe, reduced to a 2lb batch.
Since my first batch was 80% OO I've been using it thinking it was slimy. Holy cow, I had no idea! We're talking strings of goo! (Although, my hands didn't feel at all dry or tight afterwards so I have that going for me.)
I only made it back on the 15th, and this was just a lather test, I understand that all the liquid oils are probably to blame, so I have every intention of letting it continue to cure for an especially long time now.

Yea, the slimy issue did me in for OO in my soaps..I just dont care for it..but it works well for others :)

See now I love my castiles after 6 months - to me its just a light lather and a nice gentle face soap. But when I made Not_Ally try mine she wrinkled her nose... must be an acquired taste :p

The soap is quite lovely and conditioning if you can get past the mucus, So I'm hoping that the cure time will help tame it down
I was rather excited to see how soaping with Canola oil would go, and I do love Rice Bran Oil. I figure I'll be one of those people that check their soaps every week

I have issues with the slime too and I honestly don't see much difference between young castile and a well cured castile. Using a bath poof really helps avoid most of the slime.

Use it with a bath pouf or washcloth -- the abrasion helps to break up that oleic "slime" and turn it into a lovely lather. Irish Lass shared that tip awhile back, and it does make a big difference for me.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. My castille made back in May at 5% SF with only silk added doesn't have any slime when I test it. It doesn't have much lather at all unless I really try to get it going. It's incredibly hard (like I could carve an effective arrowhead from it hard). Does the slime need time to appear?

Snappy, I always had the slime appear immediately after wetting the bar. I wonder if the slime has to do with water quality or possibly oil quality? I found this video quite informative. The first soap she uses is very snotty, most all castile I've tried is like this even after cure. I also couldn't get lather like she does without a poof.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO8woyQKvGQ[/ame]

I've made three different castiles last year, I'm going to go try them all out:)

Edit: I was watching another of her videos, she SF all her soap at 15%, I might make a small batch of castile this way, see how it compares to the 5% SF I usually make.

Last edited:
Wow, my soap hasn't tested out like that video even at 2 days old. I used Costco OO and didn't gel it. Mine is about the same white color as her older bars and rock hard like the one she is banging on. Maybe it's my dry climate or hard water?

I really do wonder how water hardness affects castile. I just tested my nearly 1 year old EVOO castile and its quite slimy. I also tested my soleseife castile, its not as slimy and I think it actually has better lather then the non salt variety. I have moderately hard water.

Latest posts

Back