My first shaving soap is a success!

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by songwind, Apr 22, 2013.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Dec 9, 2018 #1221

steffamarie

steffamarie

steffamarie

@Loralei I got a brush off of Amazon for around $9 and it works fantastically. They have lots of options both cheap and expensive on there

Loralei likes this.
  2. Dec 11, 2018 #1222

TimMcG

TimMcG

TimMcG

I thought that was a novel way of adding the SF. :)

Misschief likes this.
  3. Jan 12, 2019 at 2:24 AM #1223

lolaM

lolaM

lolaM

I will confess i have yet to make it through the entirety of this Humongous thread but before i attempt to get myself and ingredients together to embark on this little experiment im wondering about quantities. Obviously for a trial batch im not wanting much. Well, even its totally amazeballs i don't want much as im just making for ma wee daddy back home in Scotland who has been a big beardy wet shaver for 30 years.
    Having only made feminine products so far i would LOVE to surprise him with this! So what is a good individual "portion" size? I have aluminum tins in various sizes just not sure what to use. And should i fill them full or use a larger size and half fill to make room for the brush get in there and lather up the foam?
    or....do you guys prefer a glass container? Am i being a typical chick and overthinking things that men could care less about?;)

4. Jan 12, 2019 at 2:34 AM #1224

LBussy

LBussy

LBussy

Supporting Member

Hi @lolaM !

Glass = bad. Think about wet, slippery fingers, dropping it .. and poor delicate feet probably just out of the shower!

I use these for packaging:

https://www.specialtybottle.com/metal-tin-containers/deep-flat-slipcover/8oz-tnf8

And I end up filling them with ~5.3 oz of soap. They will hold more, but I like to leave a "lip" there so loading is not so messy. A tin lasts me for a couple-three months easily.

Most folks will not lather on top of a croap, they are too soft for that. So there's another gift idea, a nice bowl or scuttle! :) I have the "rawhide" on on this page:

https://www.captainschoicestore.com/lather-bowls/

Hope that helps!

5. Jan 12, 2019 at 2:40 AM #1225

psfred

psfred

psfred

No aluminum, even coated -- it will eventually react with the soap and make grey nasty yuck (and eat holes in the container). Plastic is fine, so is coated steel.

4 oz is a good size, and 6 oz is fine.

My shaving soap is hard enough to cut into pucks and wrap, so you can do that too if you want. I'm sure someone who has been wet shaving for decades will be able to find a container to suit.

Home made shaving soap using one of the variations in this thread is great stuff!

Peter

6. Jan 12, 2019 at 2:47 PM #1226

lolaM

lolaM

lolaM

Yes! Very helpful guys thanks. I actually have the same type of tins you have shown above. I just assumed they were aluminium but they are in fact coated steel so should be fine to use.
    But I’m loving those lather bowls! Soooo much nicer for gifting. And I also like the idea of making those ‘pucks’ for refills. Cheers for sharing

7. Jan 12, 2019 at 2:50 PM #1227

LBussy

LBussy

LBussy

Supporting Member

If you are thinking pucks, a Pringles can makes a nice disposable mold.

8. Jan 14, 2019 at 1:22 PM #1228

karon L adams

karon L adams

karon L adams

yeah, glass in the bathroom, soapy, sudsy fingers, hard tiles floors, BARE FEET, never ever use glass. always go metal or plastic

9. Jan 15, 2019 at 8:39 PM #1229

CraftySue

CraftySue

CraftySue

I make the pucks, in a PVC pipe with a cap on the bottom.

10. Jan 16, 2019 at 2:27 AM #1230

Jeannie Hinyard

Jeannie Hinyard

Jeannie Hinyard

The lather bowls are beautiful, but they can break, too, just like glass. My son has already broken 3 glass ones and apparently, he didn't like the plastic one I gave him because I found it in his refrigerator with BBQ sauce in it. :p I just ordered a stainless steel lather bowl from Wholesale Supplies Plus. Haven't received it, so I don't know the quality yet, but I dare him to break that one! Wholesale Supplies Plus also has shaving brushes that are very reasonable. I haven't tried those either.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2019 at 11:37 AM
  11. Jan 16, 2019 at 11:40 AM #1231

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

CraftySue likes this.
  12. Jan 16, 2019 at 12:00 PM #1232

LBussy

LBussy

LBussy

Supporting Member

Lather bowls can break, absolutely. Ceramic tends to not break into tiny microscopic shards like regular glass does however. It’s a risk I am willing to take. My issue with stainless steel is that it is too smooth, I like for the bowl to have a little tooth to it.