My first shaving soap is a success!

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by songwind, Apr 22, 2013.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 11, 2018 #1161

soap1daze

soap1daze

soap1daze

Going back to the original recipe page 1 by songwind there is no water amount used and I don't see a percentage. The reason I ask is because the recipe in HOmemade Shaving Soap blog that he bases his recipe on shows a great deal of water and I don't know why that would be so high. Ideas?

Stearic Acid - 8 1/3 oz.
    Aqua - 8 oz.
    Coconut Oil - 7 2/3 oz.
    Potassium Hydroxide - 3 1/2 oz

2. Jul 11, 2018 #1162

LBussy

LBussy

LBussy

Supporting Member

Use whatever you are comfortable with really. I use 33% of oil weight, which is a 40% lye concentration.

3. Jul 11, 2018 #1163

slickjim

slickjim

slickjim

Initially, I used 38% of oil weight. Last batches are with 33% lye concentration, which is a bit less water.

You can experiment. Actually, since I am still a newbie I wonder what are the differences? Harder soap? When I used 38% of oil weight I used different ratios for the other components as well, so don't have a direct comparison.

4. Jul 11, 2018 #1164

soap1daze

soap1daze

soap1daze

DeeAna do you know why the water amount is so high for the first recipe discussed in the homeade shaving soap blog? Way more than 40% water and I'm wondering why.

Another recipe (3rd) with a large amount of water. Why is so much water needed for these type of shave soaps? Does working with stearic acid require more water?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2018 at 12:36 PM
  5. Jul 11, 2018 #1165

LBussy

LBussy

LBussy

Supporting Member

You are ignoring other replies, like the one I posted. You can use as much or as little water as you like. More makes it a little easier to work. It also means that you either need to open cure the soap when you are done or have a very soft product. I use less water and it goes directly into a sealed tin.

soap1daze likes this.
  6. Jul 11, 2018 #1166

soap1daze

soap1daze

soap1daze

Thank you. I am using containers also for these experiments. I thought you/they were talking about the recipes with all the oil and butters.

I'm interested in trying the 1st recipe with majority of the stearic acid and only coconut oil. All the recipes I've seen for this recipe call for much more water than I'm use to using as I'm a 1.4:1 soap maker. I think it depends on which recipe one is interested in.

7. Jul 11, 2018 #1167

LBussy

LBussy

LBussy

Supporting Member

And I'm responding to that and telling you it does not. Use what you are familiar/comfortable with and you should expect similar results.

redhead1226 likes this.
  8. Jul 11, 2018 #1168

itchyandscratchy

itchyandscratchy

itchyandscratchy

Looks delicious. Lovely and creamy

9. Jul 11, 2018 #1169

psfred

psfred

psfred

Hot process soap can be very dry if you don't have enough water and much evaporates while you are cooking it. It will turn out fine, but will be hard to manage when finished. Packed crumbs and chunks.

More water (38% is a good starting place) will give you soap fluid enough after the cook to get scent and glycerine mixed in nicely and soft enough to press into your tins. 100% KOH soap is never going to get really hard anyway, but it's nice to be able to mix and mold it easily.

Adjust as needed to get it to handle the way you like.

10. Jul 13, 2018 #1170

TheWetShavingBarber

TheWetShavingBarber

TheWetShavingBarber

Where can I find this recipe? I'm new to shaving soap making and would love to try this since it seems to deliver great results - WSB

11. Jul 13, 2018 #1171

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin  

Hello and Welcome. That is the recipe in your quote. Depending on what size batch you want to make, you'll enter the Stearic, CO and other oils into a lye calculator to get your KOH & Liquid amount. I highly recommend taking time to read as much of this thread as possible (I've been through it a time or tw0). So much information. You'll be glad you did.

cjisler likes this.
  12. Jul 19, 2018 at 8:36 AM #1172

bristles

bristles

bristles

Thanks in most part to this legendary thread, I made some soap! (second attempt) I used a lot of oat milk - the lye solution got really goopy and a bit clumpy, I will make sure to use a more thinned down oat milk in future.
    Anyone know a scent that pairs well with oatmeal?
    I scented this batch with marzipan, will be giving out all these samples to get some feedback.

DSC_1519_Fotor.jpg
    DSC_1514_Fotor.jpg

LBussy likes this.
  13. Jul 19, 2018 at 1:23 PM #1173

LBussy

LBussy

LBussy

Supporting Member

Well, something sweet-ish maybe? Brown sugar cinnamon comes to mind. I’m sure someone makes a FO that smells like breakfast. :)

bristles likes this.
  14. Jul 20, 2018 at 1:11 AM #1174

bristles

bristles

bristles

Thank you for your amazing guide Lee.
    I have a question about curing, my soap was soft upon placing it in tins, I then let it 'cure' for a day with the lids off. Now it has hardened considerably, at what point do you know the soap is cured?
    I cooked for an hour and used 80% KOH, 33% lye solution, 15% glycerin. So I thought it would need a few days longer before it firms up.

15. Jul 20, 2018 at 1:31 AM #1175

psfred

psfred

psfred

It will never get hard like bar soap, but it does firm up quite a bit over a week or so. Shaving soap doesn't need a long cure, but four weeks will do whatever is going to happen. I don't find much difference in most of my recipes after a week except for the high castor experiment. That one lathered better after a month or two, but never all that well.

bristles likes this.
  16. Jul 20, 2018 at 2:31 AM #1176

LBussy

LBussy

LBussy

Supporting Member

I’m glad you got something out of the writeup. I’m with @psfred ... it will always be pliable. After a week I think it’s 90% cured with only marginal improvement after that.

bristles likes this.
  17. Jul 20, 2018 at 4:28 AM #1177

psfred

psfred

psfred

And it will make excellent lather. My shaving soap is better than anything except maybe Haslinger that I have tried. To say nothing of very much cheaper!

I've made several variations, Stearic acid with tallow, stearic acid with lard, and soy wax with tallow, all containing 10% coconut oil and 5% each either lanolin or shea and cocoa butter. The soy wax soap is harder but lathers just as well, and the tallow ones are marginally better I think. All of them give me very very good shaves.