My first sea salt CP recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpacamper

Reaction score
I love my almost finished round of Swedish Dream Sea Salt Soap and want to make my own. After some reading here and elsewhere, I came up with the following recipe from oils I have on hand:

80% coconut Oil
15% Olive Oil
5% Sunflower Oil

I'd use fine sea salt at 75% by weight of oils, and I bought Salty Mariner FO from Brambleberry. I'll mix the two together before adding to oil/lye at trace. I'll mold in silicone muffin pan. What do you think? Here's the screenshot from Soapcalc:

View_Print Recipe - Internet Explorer_2014-08-05_14-49-37.jpg

Personally I would swap the 5% sunflower for castor oil, but that's only because I loves me some bubbles. Yeah +1 put the SF to 20% like Obsidian recommends.
If its in a loaf, be ready to cut in a few hours, mine are always still hot when I cut them.
Edit to add - I see you're using individual molds - never mind about cutting!

Personally I would swap the 5% sunflower for castor oil, but that's only because I loves me some bubbles. Yeah +1 put the SF to 20% like Obsidian recommends.
If its in a loaf, be ready to cut in a few hours, mine are always still hot when I cut them.
Edit to add - I see you're using individual molds - never mind about cutting!

I agree with all this plus I would up the fo to 1 oz ppo. I usually 1.2 in my salt bars. I find the fo gets lost and just smells like salt after time.

Salt Bars

Like the others, I recommend castor oil over the sunflower oil as it will help with lather. I always use FO @ maximum recommendation in my salt bars.

My salt bars have amazing lather - I use SL at 2% and dry malt extract at 1 tsp ppo.

------------------------------------
www.sadiesmissionsoaps.com

Last edited:
@stacy
From what I know, the salt in salt bars inhibits lathers so salt bars usually call for a high percentage of coconut oil like 70% or more. Many uses 80% and a 20% superfat. The much higher superfat helps to counter the drying effect of the coconut oil. :)

I agree with all this plus I would up the fo to 1 oz ppo. I usually 1.2 in my salt bars. I find the fo gets lost and just smells like salt after time.

Please check my math:

1.2 oz fo per pound of oils

1.2oz /16oz=.08 or 8% of total weight of oil

In grams:

8% x 500 grams = 40 grams f.o.

Ok, so assuming my above math is correct, using 20% superfat, and swapping castor for sunflower oil, soapcalc tells me the bubbly number goes from 54 to 58, a 7% increase with no change in conditioning or cleansing properties. Is that enough to notice a significant difference?

edit: here's the soapcal update:

_2014_08_06_09_50_52.jpg

Last edited:
I love my almost finished round of Swedish Dream Sea Salt Soap and want to make my own. After some reading here and elsewhere, I came up with the following recipe from oils I have on hand:

80% coconut Oil
15% Olive Oil
5% Sunflower Oil

I'd use fine sea salt at 75% by weight of oils, and I bought Salty Mariner FO from Brambleberry. I'll mix the two together before adding to oil/lye at trace. I'll mold in silicone muffin pan. What do you think? Here's the screenshot from Soapcalc:

The FO you chose sounds really nice!!! "Salty Mariner".

Please check my math:

In grams:

Ok, so assuming my above math is correct, 2using 0% superfat, and swapping castor for sunflower oil, soapcalc tells me the bubbly number goes from 54 to 58, a 7% increase with no change in conditioning or cleansing properties. Is that enough to notice a significant difference?

Yep. Your math is correct I use 7-8% fo in my salt bars.

Please check my math:

In grams:

Ok, so assuming my above math is correct, using 20% superfat, and swapping castor for sunflower oil, soapcalc tells me the bubbly number goes from 54 to 58, a 7% increase with no change in conditioning or cleansing properties. Is that enough to notice a significant difference?

Yes, yes it is enough to notice a significant difference. Do a tester batch with the first recipe, then do this recipe. Then you know for yourself.

Salty mariner accelerates like crazy so be prepared for that. I would add the colorants/salt and thin trace then quickly mix the FO in by hand.

Sunflower adds much desirable Linoleic Acid.
80% Coconut Oil will provide plenty of bubbles and creamy lather.
Keep your salt around 50%

Latest posts

Back