My First Salve!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MysPhoenix

Reaction score
Tonight I made my first Relieving Salve 😁

Salves have been on my to-do list for a while now and my boyfriend has been having arthritis and muscle pain in his left shoulder so I felt inspired!

The combination of the herbs in the infusion and the essential oils smell fantastic.

Relieving Salve (Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Beeswax, Lemon Balm-Cayenne Pepper-Tumeric-Moringa Leaf-Comfrey Leaf-Espresso Powder Infused Coconut Oil, Lemongrass Essential Oil, Cedar Essential Oil, Orange10x Essential Oil, Optiphen)

Attachments

• 20210524_220401.jpg
    20210524_220401.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210524_220409.jpg
    20210524_220409.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210524_220332.jpg
    20210524_220332.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210524_220438.jpg
    20210524_220438.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 5
Tonight I made my first Relieving Salve 😁

Salves have been on my to-do list for a while now and my boyfriend has been having arthritis and muscle pain in his left shoulder so I felt inspired!

The combination of the herbs in the infusion and the essential oils smell fantastic.

Relieving Salve (Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Beeswax, Lemon Balm-Cayenne Pepper-Tumeric-Moringa Leaf-Comfrey Leaf-Espresso Powder Infused Coconut Oil, Lemongrass Essential Oil, Cedar Essential Oil, Orange10x Essential Oil, Optiphen)
Out of curiosity, why did you put Optiphen in an anhydrous product?

Out of curiosity, why did you put Optiphen in an anhydrous product?

Because fingers go in it and while I clean my hands first I can't say that everyone who uses this would. Plus with the humidity and it being summer I worry about the possibility of condensation.

I am sorry it took a while for me to respond, my schedule has been very hectic as of late.

Because fingers go in it and while I clean my hands first I can't say that everyone who uses this would. Plus with the humidity and it being summer I worry about the possibility of condensation.

I am sorry it took a while for me to respond, my schedule has been very hectic as of late.
You'll only get condensation in it if you keep it in the fridge. Even if the humidity is 100%, a temperature difference is required for condensation to form. You're fine without a preservative as long as you aren't adding anything with water in it.

You'll only get condensation in it if you keep it in the fridge. Even if the humidity is 100%, a temperature difference is required for condensation to form. You're fine without a preservative as long as you aren't adding anything with water in it.

Thank you! Do we need to be concerned about "finger germs" though?

Thank you! Do we need to be concerned about "finger germs" though?
I would make sure the recipients know to use it with clean dry hands. But I wouldn't be concerned about normal bacteria levels on skin with an anhydrous product. It is incredibly unlikely that you'll get any bacteria, mold, or fungus growing in this stuff, as long as you're not scooping it out with wet fingers. There are probably a lot more germs in the botanicals you used than there will be on your hands anyway (depending on where you got them). In fact, if you were to use those same botanicals and essential oils in a water-based lotion, you'd probably need the maximum allowed amount of a pretty strong preservative to prevent bacteria and mold completely taking over. They are what is known as "bug food" (meaning they feed microbes) and are tricky to use in water-based formulas. An anhydrous product like yours is the best place for them.

I would make sure the recipients know to use it with clean dry hands. But I wouldn't be concerned about normal bacteria levels on skin with an anhydrous product. It is incredibly unlikely that you'll get any bacteria, mold, or fungus growing in this stuff, as long as you're not scooping it out with wet fingers. There are probably a lot more germs in the botanicals you used than there will be on your hands anyway (depending on where you got them). In fact, if you were to use those same botanicals and essential oils in a water-based lotion, you'd probably need the maximum allowed amount of a pretty strong preservative to prevent bacteria and mold completely taking over. They are what is known as "bug food" (meaning they feed microbes) and are tricky to use in water-based formulas. An anhydrous product like yours is the best place for them.

Okay cool, thank you again!

Latest posts

Back