My First Salt Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just recently become a member here and saw your comments the first day about how lacerations can occur to the skin if ground salts are used in one's salt bars. I've been grinding Mediterranean Sea Salt to a powder and adding it to my FL HP salt bar batter, and I've been using those finished bars sometimes with washcloth application, sometimes directly on my face. Not once have I noticed lacerations. I will admit though, that repeated soap-ups at delicate skin locations during an extended tub bath has caused a slight sting, but that goes away upon thorough rinsing. I'm 70 years old and, as is common to us in later years, my skin has become thin. My husband tested the salt bars, too, as has someone else who bravely tests new batches for me. I've asked about whether or not they've experienced lacerations, stings, burns, or itchiness. So far, nobody has.

Because I have customers who are very interested in buying salt bars after I age them for an extended period of time, what I read in your comments has caused me great concern. Therefore, I've researched hundreds of pages in cyberspace, gone through all of my books, viewed many journals / papers, and aside from seeing the obvious testimonials / comments / complaints about skin lacerations / irritations brought about by using soaps made with coarsely ground salts that didn't dissolve in the bar as well as left on top of the bars as decoration, I can't find anything about finely ground and/or powdered salts being like chards in salt bar soaps that can and do lacerate the skin.

I do have the utmost respect for all of you experienced soap makers, and respectfully request that you assist me in my research by providing any reference materials that confirm how grinding salt can and will cause sharp shards to remain in the soap. I by no means am presenting a challenge to your expertise and years of experience... I just want to make sure that the salt bars I create using powdered Mediterranean Sea Salt carry very little risk of harming anyone's precious skin and I thank you in advance for any reference material you can suggest for me to look at.
Are you going to find reference materials about grinding salt for salt bars, probably not. Why would you not believe us whom have made hundreds of salt bars that it can happen. I have had it happen when I was first learning. Because you have not experienced it yet does not mean it will not happen, are you really willing to risk it over some silly salt when you can use a different kind of salt. Nope, not me. In manufacturing many times experience means much more than what is written down. I will not even sell some I have that turned out prickly just using a different brand of fine sea salt. You do not want to believe us then keep grinding your salt and one day you may wish you had not. Why are your bars stinging your skin? I you using them on broken out skin or are your salt bars leaving minute lacerations that are stinging? As for any benefits from using different salts in salt bars you are talking something that is on the skin for a few seconds and washed off so even table salt makes a nice salt bar. Many here use canning salt which also works. Grey Sea Salt and Himalayan Salt even in fine grain tend to be scratchy. Also it is not at all advisable to use med to large grain salt on the top of a bar for decoration, even if it does look nice. It can be hard to remove off the bar and customers very possibly will not think to remove it. If you want Mediterranean Sea salt then purchase fine. It is cheap and much safer, although I have never used it as the only salt only in a mix and really do not know if it will be prickly. I normally mix Pacific Sea Salt with non-iodized table salt. You have 2 choices here, learn from us that have been making salt bars for years or learn the hard way...
https://www.sfsalt.com/inc/sdetail/mediterranean-sea-salt-fine-grain---5-lb--bulk-bag/701756#/submit

I have ground Epsom salts to a fine powder to use when making salt cakes in a moon cake press. It seems to be very powdery and may be okay to use in soap. I wouldn't, however, for the reasons cmzaha stated, but also because I don't feel the extra step of grinding the salt should be necessary for soap. I also don't know how the Mediterranean Salt you are using differs from Epsom Salt. I use fine grain sea salt in my salt bars, and they are among my very favorites to use. Try it - you may like it better.

Are you going to find reference materials about grinding salt for salt bars, probably not. Why would you not believe us whom have made hundreds of salt bars that it can happen. I have had it happen when I was first learning. Because you have not experienced it yet does not mean it will not happen, are you really willing to risk it over some silly salt when you can use a different kind of salt. Nope, not me. In manufacturing many times experience means much more than what is written down. I will not even sell some I have that turned out prickly just using a different brand of fine sea salt. You do not want to believe us then keep grinding your salt and one day you may wish you had not. Why are your bars stinging your skin? I you using them on broken out skin or are your salt bars leaving minute lacerations that are stinging? As for any benefits from using different salts in salt bars you are talking something that is on the skin for a few seconds and washed off so even table salt makes a nice salt bar. Many here use canning salt which also works. Grey Sea Salt and Himalayan Salt even in fine grain tend to be scratchy. Also it is not at all advisable to use med to large grain salt on the top of a bar for decoration, even if it does look nice. It can be hard to remove off the bar and customers very possibly will not think to remove it. If you want Mediterranean Sea salt then purchase fine. It is cheap and much safer, although I have never used it as the only salt only in a mix and really do not know if it will be prickly. I normally mix Pacific Sea Salt with non-iodized table salt. You have 2 choices here, learn from us that have been making salt bars for years or learn the hard way...
https://www.sfsalt.com/inc/sdetail/mediterranean-sea-salt-fine-grain---5-lb--bulk-bag/701756#/submit
There are more than the two choices you've mentioned. To follow dogma based upon anecdotal evidence or long-cherished beliefs has never been my forte, but research is. Thus, my rather innocuous request for information supporting the claims that powdered / ground salt used in making salt bar soaps leaves chards that can and do cause lacerations was made.

I believe the "sting" … the SLIGHT sting that I mentioned (which disappeared after thorough rinsing)... occurred because of its having been used after a day of rose-gardening, during which one of my lovely rose bushes slapped me across the face for trimming it LOL and other exposed areas (arms & legs) got a few thorny greetings as well. But good grief, even the salty sweat from my brow stung a little.

Thank you for your response. I'll bother you no further.

I have ground Epsom salts to a fine powder to use when making salt cakes in a moon cake press. It seems to be very powdery and may be okay to use in soap. I wouldn't, however, for the reasons cmzaha stated, but also because I don't feel the extra step of grinding the salt should be necessary for soap. I also don't know how the Mediterranean Salt you are using differs from Epsom Salt. I use fine grain sea salt in my salt bars, and they are among my very favorites to use. Try it - you may like it better.
I have not tried Epsom salt in salt bars not know which mineral cause DDS to not work in salt bars. Both contain Magnesium and Sulfur. Just might try Epsom one of these days, but I am betting it will not work out well. Mediterranean sea salt is really just another sea salt
@Nightbaby, there is just no reason to grind salt when fine is readily available. Salt bars were something soapmakers came up with and I am sure there are no studies about them. So any research you do will lead you to soapmakers. What are you trying to research in regards to salt bars? Salt is another additive soapmakers tried in soap. Soleseif soap, on the other hand, is a salt brine soap, made from making a 25% salt brine that I think has been around much longer than using salt as an additive. Soap itself is a salt :tub: Was not trying to offend you, but sometimes you have to go with experience

I have not tried Epsom salt in salt bars not know which mineral cause DDS to not work in salt bars. Both contain Magnesium and Sulfur. Just might try Epsom one of these days, but I am betting it will not work out well. Mediterranean sea salt is really just another sea salt
@Nightbaby, there is just no reason to grind salt when fine is readily available. Salt bars were something soapmakers came up with and I am sure there are no studies about them. So any research you do will lead you to soapmakers. What are you trying to research in regards to salt bars? Salt is another additive soapmakers tried in soap. Soleseif soap, on the other hand, is a salt brine soap, made from making a 25% salt brine that I think has been around much longer than using salt as an additive. Soap itself is a salt :tub: Was not trying to offend you, but sometimes you have to go with experience
Yes, I'm comfortable making Soleseif as well. Thanks again.

From others that have tried, don't use Epsom salt in Salt bar.
There are reasons that I just don't know because I have not done it. But if you search, Dish has some stuff on it, you will come across it.

Also on the grinding of salt, Don't, just don't it does scratch and if you sell this is a liability

From others that have tried, don't use Epsom salt in Salt bar.
There are reasons that I just don't know because I have not done it. But if you search, Dish has some stuff on it, you will come across it.

Also on the grinding of salt, Don't, just don't it does scratch and if you sell this is a liability
I am also sure the epsom will not work, but me being me I will try a tiny tiny batch. I have used DSS with success but it has to be in very small percentages so really not worth it. Of course I will not get to it for another month since I return to the parents next Tuesday :-( It always amazes how many will not believe you cannot grind salt, especially in a coffee grinder.

If you are on the Dish, look there. I remember seeing a bunch of info but I'm not about to look right now.
I think you can Google search too and Dish stuff comes up :)
I always hate wasting things.

oh, I know ...

I've just recently become a member here and saw your comments the first day about how lacerations can occur to the skin if ground salts are used in one's salt bars. I've been grinding Mediterranean Sea Salt to a powder and adding it to my FL HP salt bar batter, and I've been using those finished bars sometimes with washcloth application, sometimes directly on my face. Not once have I noticed lacerations. I will admit though, that repeated soap-ups at delicate skin locations during an extended tub bath has caused a slight sting, but that goes away upon thorough rinsing. I'm 70 years old and, as is common to us in later years, my skin has become thin. My husband tested the salt bars, too, as has someone else who bravely tests new batches for me. I've asked about whether or not they've experienced lacerations, stings, burns, or itchiness. So far, nobody has.

Because I have customers who are very interested in buying salt bars after I age them for an extended period of time, what I read in your comments has caused me great concern. Therefore, I've researched hundreds of pages in cyberspace, gone through all of my books, viewed many journals / papers, and aside from seeing the obvious testimonials / comments / complaints about skin lacerations / irritations brought about by using soaps made with coarsely ground salts that didn't dissolve in the bar as well as left on top of the bars as decoration, I can't find anything about finely ground and/or powdered salts being like chards in salt bar soaps that can and do lacerate the skin.

I do have the utmost respect for all of you experienced soap makers, and respectfully request that you assist me in my research by providing any reference materials that confirm how grinding salt can and will cause sharp shards to remain in the soap. I by no means am presenting a challenge to your expertise and years of experience... I just want to make sure that the salt bars I create using powdered Mediterranean Sea Salt carry very little risk of harming anyone's precious skin and I thank you in advance for any reference material you can suggest for me to look at.

Nicely said Nightbaby.

I'll send you my personal experience: I made salt bars once, but didn't have quite enough of the salt I normally used...so grabbed some Himalayan salt from the cabinet (came already ground from an expensive company). I had about 75% of my normal salt and 25% Hymlayan. Cured for 3 months. Used it once in the shower and was left (I don't use a poor or washcloth, bar goes directly on the skin) covered in tiny, stinging scratches, a few of which did bleed. Cured the bars longer while I waited to admit I needed to throw the soap out, tried again and got the same result. I now stay away from any Himalayan salt in soap.

Another batch of salt bars; I used regular sea salt that wasn't ground to my liking so I ran it through a coffee grinder. (this was 100% of the salt used in the batch). I found it scratchy and uncomfortable, but not painful.

Perhaps reading customer reviews might help. Below are links to two soaps with Himilayan sea salt as an ingredeient, with several reviewers that state their skin suffered lacerations using a soap made with Himilayan sea salt (sold on Amazon).

https://www.amazon.com/Himalayan-Sa...p_d_hist_1?filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1

https://www.amazon.com/Spice-Lab-Hi...r&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

As far as your other question about research on grinding salt, I have not read any specifically about that, but I really don't know what search parameters to use to get the most applicable results. How the words are strung together in a search makes a big difference when searching. Also which words are used and not used can limit or enhance a search. If you have a leaning toward certain scientific journals, searching them specifically might help (or not.) Perhaps you could contact Dr. Kevin Dunn and ask if he has any ideas of who may have done any such research, you will probably get a response. He is a chemist who has done extensive soap-related research, published many papers, books and done multiple lectures on soap making topics.

Where does it say they have Himalayan salt in it ?
I see sea salt it says but does not list ingredients. It's MP but that is all I can tell
Hmm even their web site lists nothing o_O
Am I missing something because I use FireFox ? I even tried in IE and still nothing. :confused:

I am NOT bashing you @cmzaha just want you to know that. This is what I hate about Amazon as many don't list much on their wares

I see sea salt it says but does not list ingredients. It's MP but that is all I can tell
Am I missing something because I use FireFox ? I even tried in IE and still nothing. :confused:

I am NOT bashing you @cmzaha just want you to know that. This is what I hate about Amazon as many don't list much on their wares

It's in the listing title - Primal Elements Himalayan Sea Salt 5.8 Oz. Handmade Glycerin Bar Soap

Sorry I see they moved, they are not in Huntington Beach, CA this is their website and I only posted the pic because it is a gorgeous soap. From the looks they are using very fine salt. Here is a link for it on their site http://www.primalelements.com/himalayan-sea-salt-vegetable-glycerin-bar-soap.html Primal has never listed their ingredients only that it is a Proprietary soap formula with is vegan. I do know this company has several patents but I think they are for their candles.

Sadly you cannot buy pearl salts at a price affordable for making salt bars, at least I cannot find any for the amount I use. I use the smallest grain pearl salt. non-iodized table salt works fine.

Is it due to becoming more rare, how much were you paying if you don't mind my asking?

I see it in the title but that doesn't mean it has it the real thing in it. I think they call it that because of the embeds with the MP ?
It IS Pretty ! Don't get me wrong. It just seems like either it is false advertising if they don't say what it in the soap, no? At least IMO.

At any rate Regular table salt works just fine and isn't sharp :)

Is it due to becoming more rare, how much were you paying if you don't mind my asking?
It has been to long since I was able to purchase the end of their stock, I paid somewhere around $1 per lb from what I remember. It can still be purchased by very high priced.

I see it in the title but that doesn't mean it has it the real thing in it. I think they call it that because of the embeds with the MP ?
It IS Pretty ! Don't get me wrong. It just seems like either it is false advertising if they don't say what it in the soap, no? At least IMO.

At any rate Regular table salt works just fine and isn't sharp :)
Knowing who the company is, I would say they do have the salt in their soap, they are a very reputable company, and for years was located in one of our more upper class beach areas. I have not been to the shop since they apparently relocated up the road to Huntington Beach. From what I remember they manufacture their own bases or have someone manufacture for them.
Makes me wish I had taken a picture of the 6 inch slice I got on my chest from ground salt. It wasn't just a scratch, it looked like someone took a razor blade to me.
Yep, that might have proved the point ;)

Latest posts

Back