My First Salt Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about dendritic salt? I think I have a big bag of that from a sale at WSP. Anyone have experience with that?
i read someone's post on the forum not too long ago about soaking their fragrance for their salt bars in dendritic salt before adding it to get the fragrance to stick longer (just a small amount of dendritic salt- its not the primary salt in the recipe)

i read someone's post on the forum not too long ago about soaking their fragrance for their salt bars in dendritic salt before adding it to get the fragrance to stick longer (just a small amount of dendritic salt- its not the primary salt in the recipe)
I believe that's correct. That's about all I know about dendritic salt too -- when making bath salts, use 10% dendritic salt to hold the fragrance.

No one was trying to discourage you, and we all had to learn. When I first started making them I made a lot of errors because I was not a member of a forum, and salt bars were not popular like they are now. Also things happen when you do it right, I have a double batch of dead sea mud salt bars that I cannot sell because they came out very prickly, like little needles. This was caused from a Pacific Sea Salt from Winco which I had purchased in the past. They are worse than a scratchy bar even though they do not seem to cause abrasions, but feel just like tiny needles. :eek: So I will not take a chance and purchase their sea salt again, I have gone back to San Francisco Salt for my salts or table salt.

So in your opinion what do you think is the best salt to use? I currently use Fine sea salt. I have used table salt as well but I always thought the iodine was an issue. What size are the pearl salts? Fine? You mentioned different sizes.

Sadly you cannot buy pearl salts at a price affordable for making salt bars, at least I cannot find any for the amount I use. I use the smallest grain pearl salt. non-iodized table salt works fine.

Sadly you cannot buy pearl salts at a price affordable for making salt bars, at least I cannot find any for the amount I use. I use the smallest grain pearl salt. non-iodized table salt works fine.

I saw a powder sea salt, which of course is finer then fine. I wanted to try it but wasn't sure it would be ok as if Im using 75-100% salt ( of oils) would the powder make too concentrated a soap?

No one was trying to discourage you, and we all had to learn. When I first started making them I made a lot of errors because I was not a member of a forum, and salt bars were not popular like they are now. Also things happen when you do it right, I have a double batch of dead sea mud salt bars that I cannot sell because they came out very prickly, like little needles. This was caused from a Pacific Sea Salt from Winco which I had purchased in the past. They are worse than a scratchy bar even though they do not seem to cause abrasions, but feel just like tiny needles. :eek: So I will not take a chance and purchase their sea salt again, I have gone back to San Francisco Salt for my salts or table salt.
No fear! My tongue was firmly in my cheek . . .

I understand they weigh the same - My question was really about a more concentrated ( more dense ) concentration.
It would be fine depending on the salt itself. Where did you find powdered? Purchasing powdered may make very smooth salt bars, almost like a river rock once they are used for awhile. Table salt will usually do the same thing.
This is the salt I usually purchase https://www.sfsalt.com/inc/sdetail/pacific-ocean-sea-salt-fine-grain---25-lb--bulk-bag/700324#/
or this one https://www.sfsalt.com/inc/sdetail/calspa-natural---25lb-bulk-bag/521#/ always in fine grain

edited to add, I just looked up powdered salt and I would go with the non-iodized table salt, but it is always worth trying in a small batch, since I do not think it will make a bad bar

I thought the iodized and Non-iodized didn't make any difference ?

Taken from the Dish (2011)
"I would expect from basic chemistry that little or no iodine would penetrate the skin from a salt bar made with iodized salt.

Iodized salt contains potassium iodide. It is iodine in its ionic form. Just as salt or sodium chloride is far different physically and chemically from elemental chlorine, iodides are different from elemental iodine.

In order for substances to be absorbed through the skin they must be fairly lipid soluble. Ions such as chloride and iodide are not lipid soluble because they are charged, and therefore the iodide in iodized salt will not cross the skin and be absorbed into the bloodstream.

On the other hand, both elemental chlorine and iodine are quite lipid soluble. They are not ions and have no charge, so they dissolve in lipids freely. It is very well known that tincture of iodine is absorbed through the skin. Tincture of iodine contains both elemental iodine and potassium iodide, but it is only the elemental iodine which gets absorbed.

I am confident that using salt bars made with iodized salt would not expose the user to iodine which is absorbed. I should add that if the salt bar were used somehow with chlorine bleach, free iodine would be liberated as the chlorine oxidizes the iodide to free iodine. So no using the salt bars with bleach at the same time."

Just in case anyone else was wondering.

Last edited:
It would be fine depending on the salt itself. Where did you find powdered? Purchasing powdered may make very smooth salt bars, almost like a river rock once they are used for awhile. Table salt will usually do the same thing.
This is the salt I usually purchase https://www.sfsalt.com/inc/sdetail/pacific-ocean-sea-salt-fine-grain---25-lb--bulk-bag/700324#/
or this one https://www.sfsalt.com/inc/sdetail/calspa-natural---25lb-bulk-bag/521#/ always in fine grain

edited to add, I just looked up powdered salt and I would go with the non-iodized table salt, but it is always worth trying in a small batch, since I do not think it will make a bad bar

Thanks for your imput. This is the powdered one I saw - It comes in many grinds and I just clicked on powdered.
https://www.seasalt.com/pure-ocean-sea-salt-small.html I thought it sounded like it would make a nice bar as well.

LOVELY.. I use Salt in ally recipes 1tsp ppo. And sugar . I have found that sorbitol is more effective than sugar. I also add Silk protein and use aloe water. ( 1.5 inch slice of aloe pulp to 64 oz of water and used that. To that water I add the sugar and salt.

They are talking salt bars, not just adding a little salt to a recipe for hardness. Salt bars are made with 30-100% weight of batter. High coconut and SF. Two different types of soap.

Your salt bars look wonderful. I just made salt soap a 10 days ago....80% CO, 10% OO, 10% avocado oil, 20 % superfat with 40% salt weight. I could only find coarse ground sea salt; so, I ground it in my coffee grinder. (I tried a bar already & it's lovely)

Your salt bars look wonderful. I just made salt soap a 10 days ago....80% CO, 10% OO, 10% avocado oil, 20 % superfat with 40% salt weight. I could only find coarse ground sea salt; so, I ground it in my coffee grinder. (I tried a bar already & it's lovely)
If you search the forum for salt bars and even read all through this thread you will find we tell people to Never Never grind salt, it can and will cause sharp shards that can lacerate the skin. I highly recommend you do not use those bars directly on your skin. Please heed our experience so you do not end up with a nasty laceration. At best, even some fine grind salt can cause a prickly bar or overly scrubby. Himalayan for example, tends to be scratchier than most Pacific Sea Salt or plain table salt. I always mix mine with Pacific Sea Salt and Plain Table Salt

If you search the forum for salt bars and even read all through this thread you will find we tell people to Never Never grind salt, it can and will cause sharp shards that can lacerate the skin. I highly recommend you do not use those bars directly on your skin. Please heed our experience so you do not end up with a nasty laceration. At best, even some fine grind salt can cause a prickly bar or overly scrubby. Himalayan for example, tends to be scratchier than most Pacific Sea Salt or plain table salt. I always mix mine with Pacific Sea Salt and Plain Table Salt
I've just recently become a member here and saw your comments the first day about how lacerations can occur to the skin if ground salts are used in one's salt bars. I've been grinding Mediterranean Sea Salt to a powder and adding it to my FL HP salt bar batter, and I've been using those finished bars sometimes with washcloth application, sometimes directly on my face. Not once have I noticed lacerations. I will admit though, that repeated soap-ups at delicate skin locations during an extended tub bath has caused a slight sting, but that goes away upon thorough rinsing. I'm 70 years old and, as is common to us in later years, my skin has become thin. My husband tested the salt bars, too, as has someone else who bravely tests new batches for me. I've asked about whether or not they've experienced lacerations, stings, burns, or itchiness. So far, nobody has.

Because I have customers who are very interested in buying salt bars after I age them for an extended period of time, what I read in your comments has caused me great concern. Therefore, I've researched hundreds of pages in cyberspace, gone through all of my books, viewed many journals / papers, and aside from seeing the obvious testimonials / comments / complaints about skin lacerations / irritations brought about by using soaps made with coarsely ground salts that didn't dissolve in the bar as well as left on top of the bars as decoration, I can't find anything about finely ground and/or powdered salts being like chards in salt bar soaps that can and do lacerate the skin.

I do have the utmost respect for all of you experienced soap makers, and respectfully request that you assist me in my research by providing any reference materials that confirm how grinding salt can and will cause sharp shards to remain in the soap. I by no means am presenting a challenge to your expertise and years of experience... I just want to make sure that the salt bars I create using powdered Mediterranean Sea Salt carry very little risk of harming anyone's precious skin and I thank you in advance for any reference material you can suggest for me to look at.

Back