my first round soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffynnon

Reaction score
Had a lovely surprise when I cut a column soap made on Wednesday. I used a Pringles tube and fashioned a thin tube out of a sheet of acetate that I had to put in centre for the black soap. It was messy to pull out the inner tube but I managed it, my batter was a bit too thick and I had to work fast to swirl it but some of the cuts are really pretty! Its goats milk kefir with activated charcoal.

Attachments

• IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1319.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 124
Had a lovely surprise when I cut a column soap made on Wednesday. I used a Pringles tube and fashioned a thin tube out of a sheet of acetate that I had to put in centre for the black soap. It was messy to pull out the inner tube but I managed it, my batter was a bit too thick and I had to work fast to swirl it but some of the cuts are really pretty! Its goats milk kefir with activated charcoal.
I really like that! How did you do the swirl? With a skewer maybe?

Thank you. Yes, a skewer which I put down in the centre of the black and pulled it to the side then repeated the action a few times finishing with one circular sweep near the edge.
Thanks!

ETA: I’m always looking for ways to make soap look like sea creatures and your technique has potential :)

Looks cool, ffynnon. I've just made one much like yours, only I made figure 8s and am hoping to have something that resembles a flower. I hope I'm as pleased with mine as you are with yours. Isn't it just so pleasing to cut into freshly made soap to reveal its beauty!? Actually, looking at yours, it resembles flower petals (to me) with points on the tips.

[QUOTE="Michele50, post: 787342, member: 33595"]Looks cool, ffynnon. I've just made one much like yours, only I made figure 8s and am hoping to have something that resembles a flower. I hope I'm as pleased with mine as you are with yours. Isn't it just so pleasing to cut into freshly made soap to reveal its beauty!? Actually, looking at yours, it resembles flower petals (to me) with points on the tips.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I see an orchid or aquilegia in mine! Waiting 18 - 24 hours for the soap to set up enough to cut is the hardest part for me but I'm usually pleasantly surprised (but not always).

Thanks, I see an orchid or aquilegia in mine! Waiting 18 - 24 hours for the soap to set up enough to cut is the hardest part for me but I'm usually pleasantly surprised (but not always).
LOL, That's the hardest thing for me as well!! My husband finds it comical when I circle my soap, pacing and waiting for the time to tick down so I can cut into it.

I was thinking of a Granny's Bonnet, as well as an orchid; that's what I was hoping for with mine. I looked up 'Aquilegia' and found that's the name for Granny's Bonnet.

I absolutely see orchids in your beautiful soap.

My crazy mind’s eye also sees the potential to create these:

Diatoms (microscopic ocean algae):
View attachment 41384

Brittle stars (related to sea stars)

View attachment 41386
How interesting! I love reading what everyone sees in soap.

[QUOTE="Michele50, post: 787342, member: 33595"]Looks cool, ffynnon. I've just made one much like yours, only I made figure 8s and am hoping to have something that resembles a flower. I hope I'm as pleased with mine as you are with yours. Isn't it just so pleasing to cut into freshly made soap to reveal its beauty!? Actually, looking at yours, it resembles flower petals (to me) with points on the tips.[/QUOTE]

Mine doesn't look quite like yours but I'm pleasantly satisfied. That's what's so neat about soap making.....each is so unique, one from another.

Attachments

• IMG_5151B.jpg
    IMG_5151B.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5148B.jpg
    IMG_5148B.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5151B.jpg
    IMG_5151B.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a newbie. Only 2 weeks soap making. Wow your soaps are incredible! What inspiration!

I'm intrigued and would love to see a photo if you wouldn't mind sharing!

I believe is @ffynnon's is this image: IMG_1319.jpg. I've copied/pasted the image jpg but I don't know if copying/pasting it in this response will allow you to open it or not. If you go up to post #1 and click on her image it will open to two bars of her lovely soap.

I believe this image that I'm copying/pasting is of her soap that you wish to see: IMG_1319.jpg. If you go up to post #1 and click on her attached image it will open to the full photo. It is 2 of her lovely bars of soap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back