My first post in this forum!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMyers

Reaction score
This was my attempt at a swirl I ran across (while looking for something else HA! But I have what I call Crafter's ADD)

Used a recipe I've had success with (but I made the first with goats milk, this one without) I'm pretty sure this one gelled, since I watched it pretty closely for the first few hours - I wanted to avoid ash, so I spritzed with IPA every half hour four times.

Still learning. I should have taken a pic immediately after pouring. It started out a deep reddish pink, white, and green. The green morphed through a pretty dark gray during gelling. But it ended up this funky purple! The pink turned orange. Definitely not the Christmas colors I was going for, but pretty still, at least!! The white spots appear while cutting, I think. I thought they were ricing at first, but I can get them to disappear with enough polishing.

I'm not sure what the yellow is on the corners of the left side of the loaf. Any ideas?

If you made it this far, here are the pics!!

Your swirl and colors still look pretty. In my opinion save your alcohol, I have never found it helping to deter ash. Purples are finicky, they will usually start out grayish then go purple when the ph drops in cp. I like Lavender Fields Ultramarine, but do not use enough to get a dark gray if you do it will be waaaayyyy to purple. B&B has an Easter Purple lab colorant that makes a very pretty purple. I also use blue food coloring which is blue 1 for a nice purple. It took me a very long time to learn to work with purple. I can usually get a nice red using red oxide with merlot mica.

Love linear swirls. The problem is they show every flaw, so I tend to go for more random swirls like hanger swirls. These are very nice. Some of your crumbling may mean you didn't get far enough into trace before swirling. Every batch I make has a few "runts in the litter," so they become my guilty pleasure and grace my personal shower. nice job

Latest posts

Back