My First Lavender Cold Process Soap Batch! (cut pics added)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridgetmoon

Reaction score
Hey Everyone.

As promised, my first cold process soap batch mixed with Coconut Oil, Unrefined Lavender Oil, Palm Oil, and a a lil bit of shea butter :)

Comments welcome :)

IMG_2572.jpg

Looks very elegant :)
When you cut it, try cutting it on it's side so the lavender buds don't drag down through the soap. Also, just in case you don't know, the lavender will most likely turn brown.

It looks wonderful! Congratulations on your lovely looking soap! :)

Hopefully, but god only knows how long it's going to take to cure :) I also have brown lavender seeds already in the mix, i done the oils and fragrance about a week ago and wondered what to do with it, the plan was bath melts but failed with that so i turned it into a cold process soap ^_^ When it's ready i'll show you the pictures!

When you cut it, try cutting it on it's side so the lavender buds don't drag down through the soap. Also, just in case you don't know, the lavender will most likely turn brown.

The buds will brown?! Bummer! I iust bought tons of buds to decorate my lav soap....

Oh yes! I learned that first hand. Soap was a pretty cream and lavender color, after gelling it's now a brown and lavender color! Lol lesson learned! ;)

Last edited:
lol very funny but accurate! Is there anyway to get them back to purple, I've seen a good couple of cold process soaps with the buds and they have barely turned brown at all. mmmmmmmmm Level of ph you say, i wonder what could of caused that :(

But i did take a look earlier, and looked like that mouse had popped by for a visit ;) So far it's looking good and going fast :)

lol very funny but accurate! Is there anyway to get them back to purple, I've seen a good couple of cold process soaps with the buds and they have barely turned brown at all.

Nope, no way to get them purple again.

I've seen a lot of pics of soap with lavender & rose petals on them that aren't brown. When I questioned the soaper on how they kept them from turning brown, I was told that they didn't, they just took the pic before the flowers turned brown. :(

Cosmo just posted the following on another thread.

Just a little tip I've been meaning to share. To keep the lavender buds you sprinkle on top of soap purple, sprinkle it on after the soap has gelled and spray liberally with alcohol. The alcohol adheres the buds to the soap and helps them keep their color instead of turning brown. Works like a charm!

I have buds on top a lavender soap that have remained bright blue/purple for 6+ months now. :)

The soap looks real nice.

Looks good! Dont forget to show us pictures... we are all drooling over here!

Right, so it's been 3 days now and i'm really puzzled by the pictures in what went wrong. can any one shed some light in what I've done wrong? :( When i first took a look it, i saw this "brown honey coloured oily stuff" coming from it, smelt a little off to, so when i cut it, it came apart almost like really hard chalk :(

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

No, unrefined, i pushed lavender through a strainer i think with just plain almond oil unscented to create the unrefined lavender oil. I think it could be possibly the lye, i touched some of it and it burnt, maybe not mixed or maybe too much :(

Yeah, definitely sounds like lye... on the plus side, you can make lavender scented laundry soap...

Back