My First Goats Milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandolyn

Reaction score
Wooohhhoooooo! Smells sooooooooo yummy & has such creammmmmy lather! It has colloidal oatmeal & honey powder it & scented with OH&H fo.

Gorgeous! I love that first picture, nice presentation! :D

Deda said:
Gorgeous! I love that first picture, nice presentation! :D

Thanks to you both! Presentation is another thing I have to really work at, that & labels, so to hear that you like that first pick feels really wonderful!!

They are beautiful mandolyn - such a gorgeous creamy caramel colour! I read on another post that you had started soaping GM - do you add your GM to your lye, or afterwards like Soapmakerman?

Tanya :)

mandolyn said:
Thanks to you both! Presentation is another thing I have to really work at, that & labels, so to hear that you like that first pick feels really wonderful!!

Your presentation always looks nice, in all your pictures.

Deda said:
mandolyn said:

Your presentation always looks nice, in all your pictures.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaw, thanks Deda! :D

topcat said:
They are beautiful mandolyn - such a gorgeous creamy caramel colour! I read on another post that you had started soaping GM - do you add your GM to your lye, or afterwards like Soapmakerman?

I used powdered GM, reconsititued it, put it in the freezer while the lye/water cooled & I measured the oils. Then, I mixed it in with the oils, then poured in the lye/water.

Temps are freezing here, & I made it at night, so I just sat it out on the deck for 4 hrs so it could freeze. Then unmolded.

mandolyn,

Im interested to know how you molded the soap.. BTW it really looks fantastic.

mandolyn said:
topcat said:

I used powdered GM, reconsititued it, put it in the freezer while the lye/water cooled & I measured the oils. Then, I mixed it in with the oils, then poured in the lye/water.

Temps are freezing here, & I made it at night, so I just sat it out on the deck for 4 hrs so it could freeze. Then unmolded.

Thanks so much for the info, Mandolyn - the more I read about CP milk soaping the more I feel adding the lye to the milk is just too hard! Your way sound great - thanks again!

topcat said:
Thanks so much for the info, Mandolyn - the more I read about CP milk soaping the more I feel adding the lye to the milk is just too hard! Your way sound great - thanks again!

You're welcome Tanya. I can't take credit for the how of it, but I've followed lots of threads about GM here & on the soapmaking groups.

One of our MODS here on the forum - Paul, The Soapmaker Man, doesn't freeze his GM, & GM is the only soap he makes. He's a master in my book, so I read everything he posts about GM. I'm amazed at how he does it, breaks the rules, & still has beautiful soap. I've used his soap, too. It's awesome!!

I read a poster recently on one of the soapmaking groups who said she mixes everything into her oils - any additives, scent, coloring, all of it. So, I thought, hmm, I'll just add the cold GM to the oils along with the oatmeal, powdered honey, & FO, hit it with the SB, then add the lye/water. It worked!

If you have an FO that causes seizing, & you've already mixed it into the oils with your additives & color, when the lye hits the pot, you're not scrambling to add stuff before it goes to soap on a stick. It's worked so far, so I'm going to continue doing it that way. Of course, if you're swirling or doing a blind swirl with an FO you have to modify that. Some colors won't mix with the oils, so you have to watch that as well.

Those are lovely! You guys have inspired me to try GM so I've gone looking for a fresh GM supplier and found one.....

Cheers

ChrissyB said:
do you think the same concept of using powdered goat milk would work with powdered coconut milk, adding it at the same time and following all the other steps?

Yes, I don't see why it wouldn't work with coconut milk, too.

ChrissyB said:
do you think the same concept of using powdered goat milk would work with powdered coconut milk, adding it at the same time and following all the other steps?

Hi ChrissyB - I have added powdered coconut milk to about 1/3 cup aloe juice and added it at light trace with great results. Following what mandolyn has done, I feel the coconut should work added with the oils too.

so mandolyn, just to clarify, your water is reduced & your goatsmilk makes up the difference for your lye/water to make your required liquid. Does that make sense?

misty said:
so mandolyn, just to clarify, your water is reduced & your goatsmilk makes up the difference for your lye/water to make your required liquid. Does that make sense?

Yes, that's right.

It's been a while since my original post. So here's an update:

After about 4 days the soap did get darker - not brown, but tan & literally over night. There was no gradual darkening. I noticed when I cut it, (& I did 2 batches,) that it either stuck to the cutter & pulled apart, or if left to dry longer, crumbled. It wasn't lye-heavy either. The oatmeal was really scratchy, more so than soap that has gone through gell.

So, I just did another batch today, & instead of reconstituting the GM, I just added it to the oils. I left out the honey powder & used oatmilk instead of colloidal oatmeal. It was still a tad sticky when I cut it, but nothing like the first batches. Oh, & I let it go through a full gel. The first 2 batches, I froze to avoid gel.

The recipe was exactly the same, the differences were: adding the GM powder to the oils, eliminating the honey powder, using oatmilk instead of colloidal oatmeal & allowing full gel. So far, I'm MUCH happier with the results!!!

I also tried coconut milk powder. I added it to the oils along with some clays & 1 tsp sugar syrup (shaving soap made from Paul's notes). I haven't cut those bars yet.

I'll post follow-up pics & pics of the cut bars with the coconut milk powder tomorrow.

Back