My first experience of DOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadgroovy

Reaction score
15463569611591568460988.jpg Just made a batch of coconut milk soap with lemongrass and cinnamon eo, sliced it and found these orange patches on some of the slices, which I assume is DOS.
What I'm thinking has caused it is a newly opened tub of palm oil which instead of being easy to scoop out, was very hard and brittle. Had to break it apart with a knife! Took some melting too.
Does this mean it was probably passed it's shelf life? Would this cause DOS?

This is in a soap you just made?? It won't be DOS then. DOS doesn't usually show up right away and would indicate rancidity. I would recommend posting your full recipe, with any additives. Someone may be able to help identify what went wrong.

No it is not DOS, which does not happen right after making a soap. It can take weeks to months for DOS to develop.

It is hard to tell from your pictures but it coul be fragrance that did not get mixed in thoroughly or your Cinnamon EO started overheating, since Cinnamon can do that, but overheating usually happens when a soap gels.

Did you use any honey in your soap? If you post your recipe and procedure with your soaping temps we can do a better job of troubleshooting

coconut.jpg
Here's the recipe I used.
Misschief Yes I made yesterday, allowed it to fully gel and cut today.
No honey, mixed oils and lye @ about 110 f.
Added EO's at light trace.
Not zapping

As always, thanks everyone for your quick replies! :)

Back