My first DOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexanderMakesSoap

Reaction score
So, with my 24th batch (or so), I decided to experiment with a non-super high coconut oil mix with a 9% SF, and my beautiful white bars are starting to show faint little orange circles after about a month of curing.

Oh well, lesson learned and I'm sticking to my usual 5-6% from now on!

No contact with metal and very little sunlight as they're in a dark cabinet which I only open every once and a while. I did use several essential oils, but didn't notice any discoloration until just today.

It looks pretty much exactly like I'd expect very light DOS to appear.

No big loss though. I didn't like the way the scent turned out and the lather was pretty thin, probably because of the high SF.

This is one reason it’s recommended to make and test soap for a year or so. Your problem may be storing it in a dark cabinet with little to no air circulation. It doesn’t matter how many batches are made it’s a matter of testing and curing and testing some more.

And I can say from experience that oxidized essential oils can trigger rancidity. An EO-scented batch I made early in my soap making career started to show light DOS early on -- only 4-6 weeks after the soap was made. The rancidity became widespread fairly quickly.

This is one reason it’s recommended to make and test soap for a year or so. Your problem may be storing it in a dark cabinet with little to no air circulation. It doesn’t matter how many batches are made it’s a matter of testing and curing and testing some more.

There should be adequate circulation, though I suppose it could always be improved, and I do live in a fairly dry climate. This is the first time it has happened to me out of many batches, so I'm blaming that 9%!

I don't quite follow your year-plan. You're saying one should test batch each new formula for a year before using/selling?

And I can say from experience that oxidized essential oils can trigger rancidity. An EO-scented batch I made early in my soap making career started to show light DOS early on -- only 4-6 weeks after the soap was made. The rancidity became widespread fairly quickly.

Hadn't thought about oxidized EOs causing issues - good point. But the EOs I used are all pretty stable, aside from cold pressed orange - but this was a fresh batch from one of my trusted suppliers.

Not for a year before using, but yes a year before selling.

This gives the maker time to learn well, how their processes, methods, and formulas work together to produce soap that performs well (or not) and to learn to correct problems that lead to poor results so that they can be prevented prior to ever selling. Until a soap maker gains that type of experience and skills and knowledge, they run the risk of selling defective products. Selling defective products harms the seller in the long-run because consumers don't return.

Latest posts

Back