My first DOS problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It wasnt terrible, but i was rearranging some soaps last night, and i found a few with dos. The only variable is where they were curing...on top of an ironing board.

Obviously the ironing board is metal. But its covered in batting and cloth. Plus I placed kitchen towels down (cause I didnt want soap crumbs on my ironing board).

Do you think the ironing board was the cause? I am playing it safe and moved all my soap off of it. Just curious.

It wasnt terrible, but i was rearranging some soaps last night, and i found a few with dos. The only variable is where they were curing...on top of an ironing board.

Obviously the ironing board is metal. But its covered in batting and cloth. Plus I placed kitchen towels down (cause I didnt want soap crumbs on my ironing board).

Do you think the ironing board was the cause? I am playing it safe and moved all my soap off of it. Just curious.
I wouldn’t think it would be the ironing board with all the layers of cloth on it. I would look at the oils in your recipe.

I wouldn’t think it would be the ironing board with all the layers of cloth on it. I would look at the oils in your recipe.
I didnt think so. But its like two bars from one batch, one from another, and a MAYBE from another. I will keep an eye on them all.

The room is air conditioned, ceiling fan, and strictly no fur babys allowed because its my sewing room. I dunno if any of that matters lol.

If it's SPOTS of rancidity (what most people mean when they say the soap has DOS), then an ingredient that's mixed evenly throughout the soap is not very likely to be the cause.

In my experience, spots of rancidity are centered on spots of contamination. This can come from a metal surface (not an issue here), dust particles, dirty hands, flecks of metal from tools, etc. -- lots of possibilities. I keep my soap as clean and metal free as I can possibly think of doing, but it's nearly impossible to eliminate all contamination. For that reason, I also use a chelator, which immobilizes any metallic ions that do sneak into/onto my soap.

Thank you ma’am ❤️ I will have to research that.

another change to my recipe. I cant standz it lol. J/k

Do you have a PhD. Thats a serious question. You know so much about the science behind everything.

Thank you ma’am ❤ I will have to research that.

another change to my recipe. I cant standz it lol. J/k

Do you have a PhD. Thats a serious question. You know so much about the science behind everything.
If the ironing board was used before storing soap on it, I know some irons have a thin metal coating over their pressplate that flakes off over time.
As far as Chelators go, I started with Citric Acid/Sodium Citrate, but Sodium Glutamate is working better for me.

Back