my first craftfair - lots of soapers...lots learned

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 100% convinced that all soapers should be friendly and professional with each other. I hate it when people are snobby to other soapers! At my last fair, I was discouraged to see another soaper, and her bars were so pretty! Priced less, uniform in shape/size, and well-wrapped/labeled, whereas mine are more artsy. But she liked mine LOL ... and we both did very well at the fair. So who cares. Be nice to each other! If you're in it for the money, you're in the wrong business.

Insurance is critical! If you have one customer who has an allergic reaction, or slips in your booth, or just decides to look for trouble, and if any one of them decides to sue, you are in BIG trouble. Insurance is a must imho. My policy is $223 a year from RLI -- great peace of mind if nothing else.

This^^ I had insurance in place before I started selling. When I knew my soap was going into the hands of others, family members included, I purchased it. Totally not worth the risk. A small price to pay for piece of mind.

I am 100% convinced that all soapers should be friendly and professional with each other. I hate it when people are snobby to other soapers! At my last fair, I was discouraged to see another soaper, and her bars were so pretty! Priced less, uniform in shape/size, and well-wrapped/labeled, whereas mine are more artsy. But she liked mine LOL ... and we both did very well at the fair. So who cares. Be nice to each other! If you're in it for the money, you're in the wrong business.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Just curious how big your soaps are. I'm also trying to figure out how much to sell soaps for at our small business locally. I've read on Soap Forum that some soapers sell a 4.5oz. bar of soap sells for between $5-7.50. My bars are 5-6oz. I was going to try to sell them for $5/bar (including state sales tax), so a bar actually cost about $4.63. That seems so cheap to me, considering it's hand made. My husband doesn't think our community would even pay $5 for one bar of soap. I'm just starting out soap making, so perhaps as my quality gets better, my prices can go up. I think they look nice, but perhaps not perfect. I've used colored swirls and FO, etc. Just wondering.

I make the customer pay the sales tax. I don't see any reason to pay that myself. It's a lot here. 8.25%

I'm glad the show went so well for you. Your soaps are so pretty! I love the way you have them laid out. Are they completely naked? I like that, too. I'm about to do my first show in about 10 years and keep debating whether to label or leave naked. Did you have signs or anything with the name of the soap? How do you think the customers liked the "nakedness".

I also charge sales tax on top of my soap cost. The challenge I am going to have now though is since Canada has eliminated the penny I have to re-price all my inventory to round to a nickle once tax is added - yikes :shock:

I also charge sales tax on top of my soap cost. The challenge I am going to have now though is since Canada has eliminated the penny I have to re-price all my inventory to round to a nickle once tax is added - yikes :shock:

Goodness, that would be so weird! How do you not have pennies?

At this point I think it is going to be a painful transition. I'm hearing a lot of people talking about craft projects for the pennies rather than turning them in. Everything from using as floor tiles to back splashes.

Businesses are supposed to rounding up or down and not charging the penny on cash transactions. They can still charge it on debit and credit card transactions. However many businesses are not doing the rounding at this point.... Interesting.... and annoying.

The US is probably watching to see how hard this is...

At this point I think it is going to be a painful transition. I'm hearing a lot of people talking about craft projects for the pennies rather than turning them in. Everything from using as floor tiles to back splashes.

Businesses are supposed to rounding up or down and not charging the penny on cash transactions. They can still charge it on debit and credit card transactions. However many businesses are not doing the rounding at this point.... Interesting.... and annoying.

The US is probably watching to see how hard this is...

I had my students write a persuasive essay about discontinuing the penny. It takes 2 cents to make each penny and almost 10 cents to make each nickel. I think we will see the end of the penny soon.

The other problem, and perhaps the biggest is that they don't stay in circulation so the government has to keep making more and those end up in penny jars and so it goes.

I had my students write a persuasive essay about discontinuing the penny. It takes 2 cents to make each penny and almost 10 cents to make each nickel. I think we will see the end of the penny soon.

Are you an English teacher? I am, though I only teach one class. I went into technology integration, but still like to teach some English.

Marilyna, my soaps were shrinked wrapped with the sides left open and a clear label with ingredients and soap name and contact info. I left naked bars of each kind in the front so people could smell and touch. I loved watching the kids go down the table sniffing each one...

Last edited:
Marilyna, my soaps were shrinked wrapped with the sides left open and a clear label with ingredients and soap name and contact info. I left naked bars of each kind in the front so people could smell and touch. I loved watching the kids go down the table sniffing each one...

Isn't it FUN to see the kids doing this? Not just girls, but boys. Lovely teachable moments :)

I love how the packaging you chose allowed the beauty of the soap to show.

Good going! Its better to have gone through with it than have left and regret it later. Your booth looks awesome btw! Good job!!! :thumbup:

Hi TJ- How are you?
I wish I had been a bit more computer literate as I love the bands and sticker logos you made for me!!!
Would love to send you a small gift of appreciation for your hard work! If you are interested pm me your addie...
I ended up using a shirk wrap and a clear label made thru avery. It worked...
Barb

Australia hasn't had the penny for years. And it works out just fine. When I was there, if something came to 3.96, they charged you 3.95. Sometimes they would charge you 4 and you would have to ask for the nickel back. (Nickleback anyone? :) Sorry I know I'm juvenile sometimes). They charged exact amounts on debit and credit transactions though. I don't think it will be a problem, just a matter of getting used to not having pennies.

In NV you have to have a sales tax license to collect tax. I don't believe it's mandatory to collect tax if you re a seller, though I will have to double check that one. In the county where I live it's only $15.00 for the license, though where Shannon and Nevada live might be more.

Actually, I have seen some youtube videos about the penny and how it is more expensive to make them then they are worth. The theory the person doing the video had is that it would likely be a long time before America switches from using the penny, simply because Americans don't like to change. I sadly agree with him, even though the penny is obviously outdated and is not something that we need any more, it is likely going to be a while before we get rid of it in this country.

Yup I am a tax registered here in Canada which actually works to my advantage because although I have to collect the tax, all taxes I pay out while doing business is claimed back against what I have collected which reduces how much I have to pay to the government....

Latest posts

Back