My first CP batch in 3 years - it didn't go so well

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm.... I played around with Soap Calc a little further, and may have found an explanation. If you plug in Fractionated Coconut Oil instead of the 76 degree variety, you do come up with a lye calculation of 8.031 oz for a 5% superfat, and 8.454 oz for a 0% superfat.

Does the original recipe specify which coconut? I wonder if it's possible that's what the recipe author had been using and went on the assumption that everybody uses the same thing? And of course, the local WalMart CO is the 76 degree variety, which requires less lye.

Sorry, but it does sound like a re-batch to add some oils is in your future!
:cry:

kwahlne said:
Lovehound said:
The biggest reason I'm participating in this forum is to improve my knowledge.

What?!?!

What about for the love of the rest of us soapy people? :wink:

But you'll love me more if I get smarter and solve all your problems! ;)

I've already mentioned in my posts more than once that SMF has the nicest people I've ever found on a forum. In fact a little birdie told me that not all soaper forums are friendly like SMF and that I had better watch my P's and Q's at other sites or I'll be getting a P&Q-ectomy, without anesthetic! ;)

PrincessMommy dont get discouraged and keep trying.
I had a bit of a spell from soaping and it was just like starting over again but you soon will get the hang of it.

happyday said:
Sorry, but it does sound like a re-batch to add some oils is in your future!
:cry:

I've never had to do this before. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to do this? I'm assuming I should add more oil, reheat, and stir s'more - anything else?

coral said:
PrincessMommy dont get discouraged and keep trying.
I had a bit of a spell from soaping and it was just like starting over again but you soon will get the hang of it.

Aww, thanks, I appreciate the encouragement.

I spent most of this afternoon babysitting my bad batch of soap. To back up a bit.. after letting my soap sit for 2 days I cut it and discovered small flecks of white that I could only assume was lye. So, I figured I needed to look around and find a way to rebatch

I used this link because it was the only place I could find that told me what to do with soap that was too caustic.:
http://www.soap-body-and-spa.com/rebatching.html

and this link because it told me how to rebatch using the oven:

http://www.colebrothers.com/soap/rebatch.html

As it turns out after heating it in the oven for 1.5 hours it hardly looked warm, so I went with the stovetop method making my pot into a double boiler.

It still took quite a long time to get it warmed up and melted. I'm not particularly happy with the color and texture (caramel and rather whipped up looking - more like caramel whipped cream than soap). I hope that once it firms up and I can cut it, it will look nicer. I did add some EO, which seemed to take rather easily.

I'll probably check it every day until it looks good enough to cut.

Thanks for everyone's help and encouragement.

So.... how did this turn out for you?

Sounds like it was quite the educational experience! :p

PM, I tried and failed with double boiler rebatching, twice. I just tried crock pot rebatching and it worked quite well. In the future I suggest you should try CP rebatching, particularly if the DB rebatching has poor results.

And I hate to say it, but I seem to recall that most books suggest you throw out soap if it has lye pockets. However, the books are not always right and it's not unusual for soaper experts on these forums to have better information than that appearing in the books.

Lovehound - yes, most of the books say to toss it. I'm a rebel. I figured adding 8 oz of oil isn't so bad - if it doesn't work, oh well. At least I've tried. And this one website did give instructions. We'll see.

I just checked on the soap and its almost hard enough to cut. I'm thinking that perhaps this weekend I'll unmold it and cut. For the longest time it had the feel of freshly made brownies - crusty on top, soft to the touch. I'm just giving it some time. It smells very nice though. :wink:

PrincessMommy said:
Lovehound - yes, most of the books say to toss it. I'm a rebel. I figured adding 8 oz of oil isn't so bad - if it doesn't work, oh well. At least I've tried. And this one website did give instructions. We'll see.
You know, it's kind of funny... You have the same name as my dear mother. Are you really royalty? :lol: ;) :twisted: :roll:

I agree with going your own way though. That's how you learn.

Lovehound said:
PM, I tried and failed with double boiler rebatching, twice. I just tried crock pot rebatching and it worked quite well. In the future I suggest you should try CP rebatching, particularly if the DB rebatching has poor results.

What about the method you described to me, with the ziplock bags, doubled up & tossed into boiling water? Has that worked for you?

I haven't tried the baggie boiler method but I've read about it quite a lot. I'm told it works fine. My only success was with my crock pot.

sort of off topic..........

Dear Lovehound,

SO glad to hear you avoided that HORRENDOUS sounding P&Q-ectomy!! Sounds positivly BRUTAL!!! Glad to get the "head's up" about those other forums too, as I hardly EVER edit myself, I imagine they would have eaten me ALIVE! :-(

Since this is the first forum I have encountered and joined, I would automatiacally have assumed that they are all like this...........full of really great and knowlegeable types willing to help anyone get their soapy probs sorted out.

Oh well................glad I found this bunch first, or my soapy persuits would have been but a pipe dream............... :)

tootles,

Della :)

Well Della, get with it and post some pictures of your soaps you've made or soaps you're going to make. I really like pictures and I think they are popular with everybody else too. :)

Still waiting for the gov mun windfall :D they have been promising......... That will buy me equipment and enough supplies to get started with.

As to the pic prob...................that is another matter ENTIRELY!!!!! :oops: It will either involve INTENSE study on what exactly I goofed up on :? , or some kind and compassionate soul giving me a little tutorial of the whole pic posting process............. hopefully the latter! :)

thanx oodles,

There's just two steps. First you upload your image to a host, like ImageShack.US. Then you get the "forum code" from there and paste it in your post wherever you want the picture. Verify that it has the IMG and /IMG tags included.

My dear 'hound............

IF I KNEW WHAT THE HECK YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT I WOULD DO IT IMMMMMMMMMMMEEEE-JUTT-LEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops: :?

You lost me after the first couple of words....................... But thanx for giving it the ol' college try!! I am not a dummy, you know.....ask me a question about beading and I'M YOUR GAL, but computer internet stuff, not so much................ :?

Cooking, give me a cooking question, or maybe gardening................. :roll:

oh well...............

Sorry Della. But if you want some interesting recipes then click my WWW button on the post or see my profile for my website, then select to go to my main website content which are my recipes. I've posted ALL of my best on the Internet.

WOW!! That sure is an impressive list, and lots of variety too, I will definatly have to try some............... :D That chicken meat loaf looks yummy!

Thanx for the tip!

Back