My First Charcoal Soap - now with lather pic added

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilovesoap

Reaction score
Bamboo Charcoal -

charcoal1.jpg

lather.jpg

Absolutely perfect. Is this CP or Whipped soap and please share how much charcoal ppo if you don't mind. That is the exact depth of colour I am wanting to achieve.

Yes, this is cp that did gel. I used 1 tsp ppo of bamboo activated charcoal. I think that amount ppo is different for hardwood. I have some hardwood but, have not worked with it yet. I have heard so many good things about the bamboo that I decided to try it first. I have to say my raw soap was instantly black and I love the end result. That sort of bumpy texture in the black is the result of a few poppyseeds to give it a sort of stone like texture.

Ilovesoap said:
Yes, this is cp that did gel. I used 1 tsp ppo of bamboo activated charcoal. I think that amount ppo is different for hardwood. I have some hardwood but, have not worked with it yet. I have heard so many good things about the bamboo that I decided to try it first. I have to say my raw soap was instantly black and I love the end result. That sort of bumpy texture in the black is the result of a few poppyseeds to give it a sort of stone like texture.

Thank you. I am not too sure what the source of my charcoal is, but I really hope it produces soap even half as lovely as yours.

Awww, thanks! I'm sure yours will be lovely.

The lather from this soap is ever so slightly on the gray end but, but mostly white. So I was thinking about using like a scant tsp next time. Just play around with it. If you have hardwood from what I understand too much will make your soap a little gritty so be careful. I think it takes quite a bit more also more like 1 Tbs. from what I have read - but keep in mind I have no experience with it as the very first charcoal I have ever used was in this batch of bamboo. Good Luck! and post a pic.

Ollieblue said:
It really is a perfect soap. I don't mind gray lather if the soap is as beautiful and dark as that.

:? don't see gray lather...

Really love the colors and that stamp and textured top are beautiful!

I am wondering about something. I have activated charcoal that would be used in a fish tank filter. Can this be crushed and used to color a batch? Where would I buy charcoal to use in soap besides on the internet?

I love, love, love the look of your charcoal soap and any charcoal soap.

I am wondering about something. I have activated charcoal that would be used in a fish tank filter. Can this be crushed and used to color a batch? Where would I buy charcoal to use in soap besides on the internet?

I would say your best bet if you don't want to order from a soap supply is to go to a health food store - by the activated charcoal in capsules and just open them up. I have read where a lot of soapers do that. I am not sure what the source of that kind of activated charcoal is - if it is hardwood it may take more charcoal than bamboo.

Back