My First Castile!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LanaBanana

Reaction score
I made Castile soap for the first time this week. I used 100% olive oil, distilled water and NaOH and nothing else. It is so pretty and creamy looking. After reading suggestions about making it, I decided to:
1) use a 2:1 water to lye ratio
2) soap at 110 degrees F
It actually only took 12 minutes to reach a light trace. That was combining stick blending and hand stirring. I poured it in the mold at light trace and it took about 1 hour for it to set up enough to texture the top. I covered it loosely with a towel and the soap did not gel at all. I'm happy with the soap at this point. I am excited to see how it is in the long run. Thanks for those who contribute; I am sharing my success with you!

_MG_8427.JPG

_MG_8454.JPG

_MG_8466.JPG

very pretty castile, with a beautiful photography to boot!

Thank you all for taking a peek and for the nice comments. I'm not sure why I waited so long to try a castile, but now I feel a sense of accomplishment having made it!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Thanks! It's surprisingly very hard already. I wonder how pure the olive oil was. I thought it would take much longer. Hmmmm.

Gorgeous soap. Would you mind sharing the brand, type OO you've used? I've been buying multiple brands, grades to experiment with, but frankly IMO you have achieved perfection with this soap.

Very beautiful! Lovely pure colour and clean, firm looking bars :clap:

My first batch of castile set up super fast too. Within days it was hard enough that I couldn't dent it with my fingers. My second batch stayed softer much longer. Same recipe, lye and olive oil.

Thanks guys!

I think sometimes soap is a mystery - the same recipe acting different than usual. Soap takes on a personality of its own!

Back