My first candles (votives) ...oily residue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden

Reaction score
I made my 1st votives today - starting out I had doubts about the accuracy of my thermometer ... brought my wax (IGI 4625) to 185 degrees F and stirred the FO in for 2 minutes before pouring. I used .5 oz FO to 8 oz wax ( about 6%). I forgot to check the temp however before pouring & I did turn the flame off towards the end of my 2 minute stir. I unmolded a couple of them and their is a fair amount of oily residue around the body of the candle. Is this likely a temp related thing? I do plan to get a new thermometer as soon as I can. The 6% is max load for this wax I think ... so I could back that down a bit I guess. Will this 'residue' absorb into the candles as they cure or should I just wipe them? TYVM!

okay ...I did wipe them off several hours ago - aside from that initial seepage, there has been no more. They look really good IMHO, popped out of the molds easily - gonna get a new thermometer tomorrow and maybe cut back on the FO - although that might vary from fragrance to fragrance?? ...I also did not use any dye as I had none ...might dye make a difference when I get it? Anxious for my first burn ...letting them sit a couple days.

hmmm ...well, I had hoped for some thoughts however as to the residue ...would it have absorbed as the candles cured? thanks in advance!

Its sounds like they were sweating out the fo, that happens with my votives too. Put fo in up to the recommended amount and see how that works im not sure of the wax your using. Dont worry about the initial cold throw as this will increase the longer you cure your candles

TY Monie ...what do you mean by 'sweating out' - too much FO? The fragrance load is 6% for this wax according to manufacturer - so I used the max recommend amount, Cold throw is excellent - one cold votive is scenting my small bathroom.
I did break down and burn one yesterday at 26 hours post pour - which I know is a bit soon. I understand that 3 days is recommended for paraffin. At this point the HT is not too impressive. Hope it gets a little better - but then, it's a votive ant really sure how much to expect from it. Thanks for responding!

Hmm, what scent was it. 6% for 4625 should not have resulted in sweating. Sounds like you mixed well and long enough. (I stir max 30 seconds, unless I can still see FO unmixed, then will mix longer - that's a rarity) So I'm unsure what happened unless the scent was an exceptionally heavy scent.
Or could be you are in a highly humid area?

Also depending on your scent will depend on how strong the hot throw is. With 4625 (and most paraffin blends honestly) the cold throw is always a little better in my experience. But yeah, a 72 hour cure time is better.
My votives will easily scent a 350-400 sq foot space for the life of the votive which should burn for a combined burning 30-35 hours. (but I also use a blend of 2 blended paraffins, and also add stearic acid and vybar to my votives that help the longevity of the burn)

Thanks for helping me out jcandleattic - the FO I used was from The Candlemakers Store, their McIntosh Spice. I mentioned I was not sure about my thermometer being accurate (I have reason to believe it might not be) - so I wondered if it could be temp related. We live at an elevation of about 2500 if that matters - but we heat with wood so the environment indoors would be fairly dry. I personally find the FO quite strong, if that's what you mean by 'heavy'. I decided to burn another candle today at 50 hours post pour to compare to yesterday's. Then tomorrow at 10:30 am makes the 72 hour mark, I will burn another at that point.

Wow - when you say your votives can sent a 350-400 sq ft space - are you meaning just one votive? And you get 30-35 hours of burn time? For a 2 ounce votive? I was expecting a burn time of 12-15 hours for a 2 ounce-ish votive ...so the addition of the 2 additives you mentioned increase their burn time significantly? And you can add these to blends that say no additives needed? At what ratio would you add those if you don't mind saying. I know you mentioned you mix the IGI 4624 & IGI 4794 at equal ratios. I am gonna try the 4794. I would imagine that will a pillar (vs a votive) you hang on to the CT as the candle is free standing with no container to restrict that. Once I put a votives into a cup and it melts into that space, not is much CT left. But while the votives are free standing the CT is excellent. Thanks again.

I mentioned I was not sure about my thermometer being accurate (I have reason to believe it might not be) - so I wondered if it could be temp related.
Doubt it, I don't take temps. I did once or twice way back when I first started in 1997, but haven't since that first or second time. What concerns me is you said you "turned the flame off" are you melting your wax on a gas stove or near an open flame? I'd be very concerned about that. Wax can combust and cause a fire, so working around an open flame is a bit scary!!
I melt my wax in a presto pot melter without the basket or lid attached. Much safer, not direct heat, nor any kind of flame.
Wow - when you say your votives can sent a 350-400 sq ft space - are you meaning just one votive? And you get 30-35 hours of burn time? For a 2 ounce votive? I was expecting a burn time of 12-15 hours for a 2 ounce-ish votive ...so the addition of the 2 additives you mentioned increase their burn time significantly?
Not that significantly. A correctly made votive, depending on wax without additives can typically have a 24 hr burn time.
And you can add these to blends that say no additives needed?
Yes, you can, you just need to test what works for you. Too much vybar and you will bind your scent and have no throw
I would imagine that will a pillar (vs a votive) you hang on to the CT as the candle is free standing with no container to restrict that.
I never burn a votive free standing. Too much of a chance of blowout and creating a hazard. You should always burn a votive in a container, which is why pillar wax is not really recommended for votives, and why I mix my 4794 (a votive blend) with my 4625,

Hi jcandleattic - I don't mean I burned the votives free standing - I meant free standing, before I burn them. When they are just sitting. I always place them in a votive holder to burn :thumbup:
I did melt my wax on gas stove in double boiler type pot. I'll look into a different set-up.

So you have found that the tempos you add the FO and the temps you pour at aren't that important? Maybe it's just the FO then ...I do have questions about my first burns but I'll start a new thread for that. Thanks for your help!

No, I don't find temps to be that important, as long as it's not excessively high or low, but within the range.
I set my presto pot to 190 with my wax and additives, then pour it into my pouring pot once it's melted, stir in my scent/color then pour.

Other than that, yeah, I don't know what's up with the scent. The Candlemakers Store is a reputable supplier for scents, so IDK.. I'm out of ideas.

I will say that I get high quality wax and other candle making supplies Bulk Apothecary and they have never been oily like that. But if you wiped them off and they were okay, I wouldn't think it would affect the end result. Sounds like it may have helped them come out of the molds better!

Back