My first buy of clays...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaibhav Jain

Reaction score
Things are gearing up...
My first buy of clays
Bentonite,activated charcoal,dead sea mud, Red Moroccan, french pink, french Red.

New target ------ clay soap
IMG_20190721_172543.jpg

Things are gearing up...
My first buy of clays
Bentonite,activated charcoal,dead sea mud, Red Moroccan, french pink, french Red.

New target ------ clay soapView attachment 40432
Clays are nice and easy to work with. Some people hydrate them with water, but I usually just mix them with oils and let them sit for an hour or two before I make my soap. I haven’t had any problems with them accelerating my trace when I prepare them that way. The colors are pretty, if muted. I have a few soaps that I made early on that I thought had too much clay in them (> 1 tsp ppo) but they are lathering very nicely 4 months later.

I really like the soft, muted colors of clays and use them in certain recipes. I usually hydrate them in water before I make soap as it's easier to incorporate into portions of batter for me. But that's just me so find what works for you and go with it. Good luck on your clay soaps!

My master clay soap
1 soap, 15 clays
IMG_20190726_153319.jpg

Clays are nice and easy to work with. Some people hydrate them with water, but I usually just mix them with oils and let them sit for an hour or two before I make my soap. I haven’t had any problems with them accelerating my trace when I prepare them that way. The colors are pretty, if muted. I have a few soaps that I made early on that I thought had too much clay in them (> 1 tsp ppo) but they are lathering very nicely 4 months later.
What quantity do you use of clays? For e.g. for 100gm of bas oils, how much clay (in gms) do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
What quantity do you use of clays? For e.g. for 100gm of bas oils, how much clay (in gms) do you use?

I use approx 1 US teaspoon of clay ppo in a recipe. A US teaspoon is just under 5 milliliters in volume. I don’t know the conversion to clay weight for that volume. It would depend on how tightly the clay is packed in the spoon.

soap update...
Bubbles are not much but I think it's lather well (though extra rubbing was needed).
But the best part is my skin is so smooth and even the climate here is rainy (high humidity) but after using this soap I (specially face) doesn't feel sticky picky 4-5 hours long and my face is also not dry.
perhaps the low Bubbles are due to high amount of clays in soap but it is giving the qualities mentioned above.
IMG_20190730_182354.jpg

Latest posts

Back