My first black colored soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapAddict415

Reaction score
I've been wanting to make a black soap simply because I usually use light colors. This is black cherry scented. I'm not sure what the swirling grooves in the black soap near the top of the bar are. The flash of my camera is highlighting them. Hopefully they'll fade as it cures. I used a pink and a darker red for the swirls in a ITP swirl but the darker color seems to have gotten lost. I used that same color for the mica drizzle on the top. Although it's not what I envisioned, I like it. I was afraid that I'd used too much activated charcoal but I just tested a sample piece and my suds are white! [emoji1] I'm very pleased.
20181112_202515.jpeg

Oh those are gorgeous!

... "I'm not sure what the swirling grooves in the black soap near the top of the bar are."
You have some crackle (rivers) happening :)

Fine charcoal powder is able to move around with the soap as it is forming (in the same way titanium dioxide does).

If you want to stop crackle from developing (I like it, but it's nice to know how to avoid it), use less water and/or gel and cool quickly. :)

Last edited:
Oh those are gorgeous!

... "I'm not sure what the swirling grooves in the black soap near the top of the bar are."
You have some crackle (rivers) happening :)

Fine charcoal powder is able to move around with the soap as it is forming (in the same way titanium dioxide does).

If you want to stop crackle from developing (I like it, but it's nice to know how to avoid it), use less water and/or gel and cool quickly. :)
So that's what that is! Thank you Saltedfig [emoji16]! It kinda looks like TD glycerin rivers but I didn't know that that could happen with AC too.
Thanks for the compliments everyone [emoji1]!

I'm with @Misschief, I love everything! I like black in general but your other colors make a nice combo.. Very classy looking :D

Black soap is in my to do list; I've only gotten grey, or just speckles hehe

Your soaps are stunning. I love, love them. I wish I could smell the black cherry fragrance. I think even the fragrance name suits the soap. I would change nothing. Perfect as it is IMHO.:thumbs::winner:

Back