My first big OOPS!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stepibarra

Reaction score
Ok so I decided I had mastered the small batch and decided to do a little larger one....(3lb) Should not have cause now I have a big mess.... This was made 3days ago and I decided oh well now its time to rebatch.. Any advice?

It separated? :(

I had a bad batch couple days ago. Avocado oil etc., avocado pulp, WSP frankincense & myrrh FO, base color was perfectly matched to avocado pulp color, swirls perfectly matched to the avocado's skin, my best swirls to date, then it gelled overnight and turned dark, dark brown. If I look closely I can still see those perfect swirls, now green-black on a very dark brown. It's the ugliest soap I've made, not even a nice brown. I don't know if it was the FO alone or the FO interacting with the pulp.

Advice? Looks like you have only two obvious alternatives. YMMV

Do you know what you did wrong?

If its just a matter of not enough stirring then just rebatch it with all of the liquids (separated oils).

If you didn't have enough lye then I'm not sure since I haven't done a rebatch where you need to add lye.

One forum member has suggested incorporating grated soap from a botched batch into a hot process batch. Afraid I haven't done that either.

I'm afraid I'm bad....the last time I messed up like that I just threw it out while having a little temper tantrum!! :oops: Great big waste I know but I knew I wouldn't ever be happy with it no matter what I did.....so I started over.

yeah it seperated... I guess maybe the temp might not have been hot enough.... Oh well I will just rebatch.....

stepibarra said:
yeah it seperated... I guess maybe the temp might not have been hot enough....
Did you wrap your mold in blankets or towels while it was gelling? If not then maybe the batch didn't build up heat enough to sustain the saponification reaction.

Did you wrap your mold in blankets or towels while it was gelling? If not then maybe the batch didn't build up heat enough to sustain the saponification reaction.[/quote]

Yeppers it was wrapped immediatly after pouring into mold... I also tongue tested and there is no zap, so at least I know that it is not LH.... Thanks Greg.

It looks almost like there was too much oil in the recipe which prevented it from solidifying totally?

Don't throw it out. It's an easy save. Just throw it in a double boiler or crock and remelt it. Stir or SB, if you can, and then pour into the mold. It will be fine. You can even separate some of the melted soap out and color it and stir it back into the pot for a two-toned effect. Rebatch is too thick to actually swirl.

Don't be surprised if when you are stick blending the oils turn into a thin liquid. Just keep stick blending and it will thicken back up. I've had that happen a couple of times. It traced, I poured it into the mold, it separated, I took it out of the mold and poured it back into the pot and started stick blending to remix. It turned to thin liquid. I'm saying, "Kitten Love???" Kept blending and then it rethickened. turned out fine. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back