my first batch [with pics]

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fladais

Reaction score
ok, it's actually my 3rd batch, but we don't want to discuss the other two. heheee

anydangway, i made them yesterday afternoon via the hot process method. they are very soft today and i'm wondering if they are supposed to be that soft. you can tell by looking at the sides of the slices where some of the soap stuck to the cutter and then rubbed off on the next slice.

i used angel cake and strawberry fragrance oils and a little "strawberry" mica for coloring. i can't really smell the fo's. will they get a bit stronger as the bars cure?

soap3.jpg

soap5.jpg

paula

Wow, they look great. Usually with hot process the scents are strongest when you first pour them in. It sounds like you didn't use enough, but thats ok. My first batch was a huge flop. Not that yours is, but I'm just saying that you're lucky to even have soap.

well, i poured the fo's in before i put it in the oven. wasn't thinking!! so i added some more just before i put it in the molds. :roll:

leave it to me to completely screw something up. :lol:

ah well...

thanks for the response. :)

paula

Those are very nice bars. You did a great job. They remind me of those doughnuts that are dipped in that melted sugar. Yummy!!!

Laurie said:
Those are very nice bars. You did a great job. They remind me of those doughnuts that are dipped in that melted sugar. Yummy!!!

thank you. i'll send you one if you like and you can have a taste. :lol:

:D!! My best advice from what Ive found with swirling is separate the soap you want to color for swirl before trace, and pour/swirl at a light trace...i think ive missed the threshold both times ive tried but im making a new batch as we speak so we shall see how that works!! :)

edit : thats for CP though, I have no clue how to do HP yet !!! lol trying to do one thing at once! :)

I swirl HP at the very end. You take out a little bit and add your colorant, then add it back in. Pigments work best for HP. I've tried using liquid colorants, but they seep through the packaging. 2 tbsp per 6 pounds (for pigment)

Very nice for first batch! I learned to always wait a day after unmolding and then slicing. Less fingerprints and smooshies on the bars.

antella said:
Very nice for first batch! I learned to always wait a day after unmolding and then slicing. Less fingerprints and smooshies on the bars.

thanks for the tip, i'll do that next time.

i just cut off a small piece of one and washed my hands with it. very creamy lather, felt nice and my hands are soft. i can smell the angel cake fo just a bit so i'm not too much dissapointed in that regard. i also checked the ph and it's a 7 on the little chart that came with the papers. i'm not sure exactly how accurate the papers are though.

the bars are still soft, but not as soft as they were, so i will wait a couple more days and then slice off another piece and see how that goes. the "hardness" in soapcalc is 36 so i'm hoping they will harden up.

thanks for all the responses and tips. very much appreciated. :D

paula

wow they look great!!!

i dont' know if i will be posting pics of my first batch here...hahhaa...might be too embarrasing.. :wink: but you did a great job!!

lilly said:
wow they look great!!!

i dont' know if i will be posting pics of my first batch here...hahhaa...might be too embarrasing.. :wink: but you did a great job!!

ah, but you should. i think everyone here loves to see other people's creations. i know i do. :)

Back