My First Batch of Liquid Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raevyn

Reaction score
My FIRST batch, didn't turn out so good - I made a few mistakes...mostly to do with my zero patience....and in the end I had watery soap that looked like dirty old fryer oil. If you have ever seen really dirty fryer oil you know what I mean, it looks burnt, there are fat floaties on top and everything LOL It just looked gross. I decided since I knew I made errors that I would play it safe and just not use the soap...if you could call it that. It was a waste of the ingredients but I thought that the lesser of the two evils.

So, feeling disappointed and bummed and super bored out of my mind I decided to give it another shot. My first attempt I tried the cold process method and I think that may have been my downfall. So I went on YouTube and watched as many videos as I could of the crock pot method and decided to give it another shot. I had gone to the store the day previous and bought a huge bottle and two small of distilled water to use. I used some of it in the first ruined batch and my boyfriend drank the rest of it (thanks dude) so I decided I would use the can of coconut milk I had on hand. I was going to save it for hard bars but I had no filtered water, so when in Rome.... I also have no immersion blender but Deeanna said I can just use a whisk so use a whisk I did. So I mixed up the lye into the coconut milk and let it sit while I weighed, misread and over poured the castor oil, under weighed some other things and had to recalculate my recipe. So I finally get everything in the pot and start whisking away. It didn't even take long at all for it to thicken up and turn into mashed potatoes. I think I whisked it for about 10- or 15 minutes then put the lid on the crock pot, tidied up, stirred some more, did the dishes, and then went to stir again and it was already mashed potatoes. Went and watched some tv and stirred the paste every 20 minutes or so. by bed time it was vaseline. I poured tap water over it because its all I had and figured here goes nothing.

woke up this morning to a lovely,gold honey colored soap in my crock pot. completely translucent. I have to say I am surprised the coconut milk didn't make the end product white aswell. there were still a few chunks of the undissolved paste in the pot and it seemed a teeny bit thick so I added some water, stirred it and went to work.

So all in all, thanks to the great advise here and on YouTube, making soap wasn't all that hard or scary and I found for me personally I didn't need to use an immersion blender which is a win because I don't own one. I did order one from Amazon but given that I make the liquid batch just fine with a whisk im going to bars of soap with a whisk too. if that works ill return the blender and save some money.

Tonight I will be attempting bars of soap with more coconut milk!

here it is - its beautiful. I can't wait to try the coconut milk bars, I have crazy dry skin on my back so im testing what seems to cause least amount of itch after.

Attachments

• 201804090644525541709422574360828.jpg
    201804090644525541709422574360828.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 28
I interested with your idea to make a liquid soap by cold processes. So how long did yo do all the processes ?

Back