My First Batch: 80% Lard Cold Process Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaLeavesandTweed

Reaction score
I unmolded my first batch and took some pictures!

Here's the whole batch:
allsoaps-1236.jpg

And here's a close-up glamour shot:
singlesoap-1237.jpg

They came out of the molds really easily (it had been about 22 hours), and I love how creamy and white they are. They look like little flans!

I love simple, plain bars, I really like your creamy little pods! No matter where you go with soap, this will probably be one of your favorite ones ever, b/c it is the first and b/c it came out so nicely. Plus, I bet it is going to feel *great* b/c of the lard.

Last edited:
Panna cotta! Beautiful soaps, and starting off with a recipe that you'll benchmark all other bars against

That's what's happened with my first batch LOL. Now I expect all of my future soaps to be as nice as that. And it's probably all psychological. I've got testers out with friends and am waiting to hear how they feel about it. :)

Awesome! Those are adorable and came out great! You're sooooo gonna love 'em :)

{wonder how long you can wait before snipping off a bit 'just to see' :lol:}

I love simple, plain bars, I really like your creamy little pods! No matter where you go with soap, this will probably be one of your favorite ones ever, b/c it is the first and b/c it came out so nicely. Plus, I bet it is going to feel *great* b/c of the lard.

Panna cotta! Beautiful soaps, and starting off with a recipe that you'll benchmark all other bars against

Ally and Effy, if this turns out to be my favorite recipe and I don't have to try another, that would be awesome because I want to nail down my fat properties before messing around with additives. That said, I need to try a vegetarian recipe for gifts and I may have impulse-bought some lamb tallow on Etsy...

Awesome! Those are adorable and came out great! You're sooooo gonna love 'em :)

{wonder how long you can wait before snipping off a bit 'just to see' :lol:}

I'm going to put an alert in my Google calendar now to keep me honest, I think.

Thanks, everyone! I'm so proud of my little soaps!

It's way too early to test with others. You need at least a month. I am not saying you can't check them out yourself, but it is way too early to give them to other people to test.

Susie - The soap is 6 weeks old, I've been using it for over a week daily with no ill effects. I've got to have some kind of feedback other than my own to balance my overly enthusiastic praise, and without someone else trying it, how am I to know if anyone besides me likes it? I wouldn't have let them have the tiny chunks they have had I not been using it safely myself already. I wouldn't have given it to my cousin or my friend if I didn't think it was safe .

Keep one of them, too, all tucked away, somewhere safe. I still have two squares of my very first CP soap. I keep two bars of every batch at least, too, one to use for me or the fella and one to keep to see how long it's shelf life is. I tag it with it's soap notes location in my Onenote (my own little nerd system, everyone will have their own). Just make sure if you computerize anything it's dumped on a cloud backup system. There are several free accounts that give a GB here or there that will suffice for now. But.... Not like you need to plan for that.... Not addicted or anything......

Back