My first attempt at shampoo bars! *NEED HELP!*

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, but you said
"The first 2 oils are what is mixed with the lye solution, because they are listed as "Saponified" - the rest go in after the soap is made, so it is super fatted with the other oils."
What do you mean by, "the rest go in after the soap is made"?

See reply to next post.

My favorite shampoo receipt has 30 oz Coconut Oil, 20 oz Olive Oil, 7.9 oz lye (not Potash), and 15 Oz water. I super fat with 2 oz Coco Butter, .5 oz Shea butter, .5 oz Lanolin, 2 tesp Cherry Bark oil, 2 tesp Tea Tree Oil, and 2 oz Aloe Vera Gel. I warm the first 2 oils to match the lye solution at around 106 degrees, mix in the lye solution and get it to a very light trace. I add in the 3 oz of oils plus the Cherry Bark, Tea Tree, ans Aloe. Mix until a nice medium trace and pour into my molds. I get my lye to water values from https://www.thesage.com/calcs/LyeCalc.html I have never had this fail on me and super fat is at 6 to 7%.

The first 2 oils are what is mixed with the lye solution, because they are listed as "Saponified" - the rest go in after the soap is made, so it is super fatted with the other oils.

Not to muddy the waters, but . . . the ingredient list contains commas and semicolons; I interpret it like this--

Saponified Coconut Oil*, Hawaiian Sea Salt;
(Not sure why these two ingredients are grouped together; perhaps it's a mistake?)

Saponified Castor Bean Oil*, Olive Oil, Almond Oil*, Grape Seed Oil*, Raw Cocoa Butter*, Avocado Oil*, and African Shea Butter*;
(Perhaps this is to indicate that all of these oils are saponified; i.e. the intent is for all of theses ingredients to be reacted with an alkali.)
Grapefruit Seed Extract;

Hemp Seed Oil*;
(Intended superfat?)
Neem Seed Oil*;
(Intended superfat?)
Peppermint Essential Oil*;

Rosemary Essential Oil*;

Natural Mineral Color*​

Of course, this is all speculation. . . .

:thumbs::thumbs: could be. No matter what it is it is still Soap with a lot of oils. Oils attract dirt to hair. Yucky!!

Unfortunately, this ingredient list brings forth so many questions that the only thing we know for sure is "could be"!

Now, if Kiti is Hades-bent on duping this product, I'd recommend (based on my interpretation of the ingredient list) starting with a salt bar of some sort, but like you, @cmzaha I don't condone the use of soap as shampoo.

Personally, I would assume that label is just plain screwy and not ever even purchase the soap. By which I mean, I would assume the person in charge of making the label did not follow proper labeling requirements and screwed up the label which leads to a lot of confusion.

I would not purchase a product labeled in such a way because it shows poor knowledge on the part of the soap maker. For me, if the soap maker can't adhere to proper labeling when they sell, how can I trust they adhere to other basics to make a safe bar of soap?

Latest posts

Back