My first attempt at a hanger swirl (with hot process)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicalMysterySoap

Reaction score
I think it came out OK. It could have been better but I always think that with every batch I make (anyone else feel that way?), I am never completely satisfied lol. I was in a hurry and set the crock pot on high instead of low, I am never doing that again. On low it is WAY more fluid. I watched videos on how people do hanger swirls but everyone does it differently, I honestly had no idea what I was doing lol.

I scented with wsp ocean rain and coconut mango. I colored with cocoa powder, and some Teal mica from Tkb that I had around when I was a makeup junkie (well I still am lol).

IMG_20140715_123833.jpg

IMG_20140715_123334.jpg

That's really nice for HP! Really love that blue and it sounds like it smells amazing

Thank you so much! It does smell really nice, I had a bit of both left so I decided to mix the scents to see how it would turn out, and it smells really good

Cool!
You did an awesome job! Swirling is rather difficult in HP> :D

Thank you :) I have swirled with hp before and it wasn't so bad. Just that the hanger technique makes it hard to see what you are doing. And also cooking it on high made my batter way too dry, no bueno :thumbdown:

Looks great. Any kind of swirl with HP is more challenging.
Thanks Cara, yes it can be but I haven't had issues before like this hanger swirl, I am sticking to cooking on low from now on 8)

Wow, my hp soaps have been so thick that I would never have been able to achieve such a lovely swirl. Love the colours too.

Those are neat! They look like a garden. I can't believe you did that all in HP?

Thank you Sea! Now that you mention it, I can see the garden lol. Yes it is all hot process cooked in a crock pot :)

That is very impressive for hp. Nicely executed! Great colors!

Aww, thank you so much Jules! I'm glad you liked it :)

Wow, my hp soaps have been so thick that I would never have been able to achieve such a lovely swirl. Love the colours too.

Thanks Rowan, that means a lot! If you would like to get a more fluid hp, I will gladly share some tips :)

@MagicalMysterySoap

Have you ever HP'd in the microwave?
I love that, especially because there is hardly any water loss - and it is superfast of course. :D

No, I've never tried it before. To be honest, I try to avoid microwave usage, I'm one of those freaks that doesn't trust it. When I cook on low I hardly get any water loss either since I leave it on low till 1/3 of the soap batter is cooked and then turn it off to allow the remaining heat cook the rest. So far this has worked for me. Thank you or sharing this technique, I might give it a try though. How long does it take for it to cook?

i had a similar result a while ago when i tried hanger swirling a hp. the swirls weren't really defined, but it makes sense because the batter (although quite fluid) was thicker and different consistency than cp.

i quite like the colors, nice contrast. my hands are itching to make the swirls more swirly instead of pointing down :D

They look great! Did you add sodium lactate? I find that always helps my HP be more fluid.

Thank you Rose! Yes, I add a tablespoon to my lye water. I didn't think sl would make a difference but it does, it allows me to play with the soap longer :)

i had a similar result a while ago when i tried hanger swirling a hp. the swirls weren't really defined, but it makes sense because the batter (although quite fluid) was thicker and different consistency than cp.

i quite like the colors, nice contrast. my hands are itching to make the swirls more swirly instead of pointing down :D

Thanks Seven, I wish it had less of the uncolored part and more of the brown and Teal. Hopefully next time it will turn out better. I get what you mean, I wish I swirled it more also but was afraid it would look muddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucalypta
@MagicalMysterySoap

Have you ever HP'd in the microwave?
I love that, especially because there is hardly any water loss - and it is superfast of course. :grin:

No, I've never tried it before. To be honest, I try to avoid microwave usage, I'm one of those freaks that doesn't trust it. When I cook on low I hardly get any water loss either since I leave it on low till 1/3 of the soap batter is cooked and then turn it off to allow the remaining heat cook the rest. So far this has worked for me. Thank you or sharing this technique, I might give it a try though. How long does it take for it to cook?

I love the Beatles and the Magical mystery tour, I do believe in magic, but I'm so glad that science is rational. :D
Radio frequency waves, don't harm your ears, neither do the microwaves harm your body or brains. They just make watermolecules move faster, they're shaken back and forth and into rotation so they get hot of the excersize, which causes the product to heat up. (just like an electrical wire getting hot). Non of the molecules in the product will change.
So far for science.

HPITMW (HP in the micro wave) could take between 7 - 15 minutes, depending on batch size.
I'll see if I can put a photo tutorial together one of these days (if I can bribe a volunteer to assist). ;)

I love the Beatles and the Magical mystery tour, I do believe in magic, but I'm so glad that science is rational. :D
Radio frequency waves, don't harm your ears, neither do the microwaves harm your body or brains. They just make watermolecules move faster, they're shaken back and forth and into rotation so they get hot of the excersize, which causes the product to heat up. (just like an electrical wire getting hot). Non of the molecules in the product will change.
So far for science.

HPITMW (HP in the micro wave) could take between 7 - 15 minutes, depending on batch size.
I'll see if I can put a photo tutorial together one of these days (if I can bribe a volunteer to assist). ;)

Yay! I'm glad to meet a fellow Beatle fan! I'm actually going to see Paul McCartney next month and I am excited as heck (sorry for the off topic).

You are so awesome! Thank you for that explanation, you have eased my mind. That sounds really quick and now I definitely want to give it a try. Hopefully you can provide a tutorial that would make it a lot easier on me, thank you so much :)

Latest posts

Back