My first (and now my second) ever CP soap -Lots of pictures!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful! And the tops are gorgeous too! How thick was your soap when you poured it? I am trying to get my tops to look like this...maybe I pour too soon? My last soap I swirled with black oxide and the results is more masculine.

TJ said:
Thank you so much everyone :) It's really encouraging to get such nice replies like this. I just made my second batch a couple minutes ago. I will do the tongue test like you suggested in a week or two if I can get the courage lol. Maybe I will make someone else do it... :lol: hehehe.

Wow, I wish I could make a second batch. I am so paranoid, I am actually waiting ONE MONTH to see how my first batch turns out before I make anymore. After all, if my first recipe isn't good (too dry, not enough lather, etc), then I'm afraid I will impart those same bad characteristics into my other batches!

Kudos to you for jumping right in there with follow up batches, TJ! I can't wait to see more pics!

sewforpeace said:
Beautiful! And the tops are gorgeous too! How thick was your soap when you poured it? I am trying to get my tops to look like this...maybe I pour too soon? My last soap I swirled with black oxide and the results is more masculine.

I poured at a really thick trace. It was actually by accident because I didn't know when to stop stirring lol.

spicyjem said:
TJ said:
Thank you so much everyone :) It's really encouraging to get such nice replies like this. I just made my second batch a couple minutes ago. I will do the tongue test like you suggested in a week or two if I can get the courage lol. Maybe I will make someone else do it... :lol: hehehe.

Wow, I wish I could make a second batch. I am so paranoid, I am actually waiting ONE MONTH to see how my first batch turns out before I make anymore. After all, if my first recipe isn't good (too dry, not enough lather, etc), then I'm afraid I will impart those same bad characteristics into my other batches!

Kudos to you for jumping right in there with follow up batches, TJ! I can't wait to see more pics!

Thanks!
:)
I'm trying out a few different recipes to see which ones I like best. So they won't all be the same. So when the cure time is up, I can compare them all at once. I'm really impatient! Lol. I don't have much oil left :( so there won't be many more batches after this second one.

dubnica said:
Wow...this is your first batch? I am impressed!

Thank you! :D
I watched a ton of youtube videos and read a lot of blogs and even bought a book about soap making! I think those things helped me a lot before I started. But my soap is nowhere near perfect :) I have lots of practicing to do! (yay!)

I could take a bite out of them lol! They look delicious. I wish I could smell them too.

It looks like your stick blender is pretty small and didn't leave you with air bubbles in the final bar, is this true?
I'm lookin' for a new one with less air madness!!

PS BEAUTIFUL SOAP!!! :)

LadyM said:
It looks like your stick blender is pretty small and didn't leave you with air bubbles in the final bar, is this true?
I'm lookin' for a new one with less air madness!!

PS BEAUTIFUL SOAP!!! :)

Thank you. :)
I don't think it's a small stick blender at all, but I had no trouble with it whatsoever. I could practically do whatever with it and it wouldn't splash and it didn't create any bubbles. I did tilt the blender in the pot though so it wouldn't have an air pocket though just once. But after that, like I said, I could practically do whatever with it. I've never used a stick blender before either, it was my first time. I should have tried it in water first to get the hang of how it works, but I didn't. I love this stick blender. I can't really compare it to any others, its my first one, but I would recommend it! I got it from amazon. It's only around $28 or $29. :D

Wow TJ! You're a natural at this. :) I've made 6 batches and none of them even come close to looking like those. Thankfully I love my soaps the way they are. :wink:

You can make your own pH test strips using red cabbage and coffee filters. Cut some red cabbage into chunks and put in a small pot on the stove. Add 1/2 c water and simmer covered for about 10 min. Pour off water. Soak filters in the water and lay flat to dry. When they are dry, you can cut into strips and voila! Obviously there won't be a numerical scale for feedback, but type in "cabbage pH scale" on google image search for comparison. I have used these strips on all 6 of my batches and have found them to be quite consistent. My batches after 48 hrs are reading the same pH as the bars sold at a local established soap maker. They might not be perfect, but it's a cheap and easy way to give you a general idea of the pH of your soap. (without the awful taste on your tongue! ) :lol:

cp chick said:
Wow TJ! You're a natural at this. :) I've made 6 batches and none of them even come close to looking like those. Thankfully I love my soaps the way they are. :wink:

You can make your own pH test strips using red cabbage and coffee filters. Cut some red cabbage into chunks and put in a small pot on the stove. Add 1/2 c water and simmer covered for about 10 min. Pour off water. Soak filters in the water and lay flat to dry. When they are dry, you can cut into strips and voila! Obviously there won't be a numerical scale for feedback, but type in "cabbage pH scale" on google image search for comparison. I have used these strips on all 6 of my batches and have found them to be quite consistent. My batches after 48 hrs are reading the same pH as the bars sold at a local established soap maker. They might not be perfect, but it's a cheap and easy way to give you a general idea of the pH of your soap. (without the awful taste on your tongue! ) :lol:

WOW! That is awesome! I'm going to google that right now. Thank you! :D

[quote="TJ
WOW! That is awesome! I'm going to google that right now. Thank you! :D[/quote]

You're welcome. Here is a picture of the tests I just did on my 24 hr old soap. You can see that one is yellow (pH 11+) :( and the others are blue/green. (9.5 to 10) :) I've read that this method isn't as accurate as using a meter, but I'd guess it's within 1 number of the actual reading.

The yellow one was from a mold that didn't gel, so I'll try it again in another 24 hrs and it should be much the same color as the other three (that did gel).

dsc5808.jpg
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Latest posts

Back