my favorite lotion recipes #3

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heart of dixie soap co

Reaction score
i love the way body butters melt on contact with my skin, but it always felt too greasy, and i love how a cream glides on, but it stays more on the surface, not penetrating the skin. this is my version of the best of both worlds.

tropical butter bliss "meltaway"

makes 16 oz

6 oz mango butter (tempered) (yes, you can use shea butter instead)
2 oz virgin coconut oil
1 oz cocobutter (tempered)
3 oz macadamia oil (or any light oil you have on hand)
1 oz shea oil (olive oil)
1 tsp vit-e t-50

gently melt, stir, remove from heat, then stir in while oils are still warm:

4 oz unscented lotion base (i like goatsmilk and honey)

beat until fluffy and peaks form. let sit until it is room temperature, the mixture will be a little stiff, then whip again. mixture should be very creamy . spoon into jars.

enjoy!

monet

Sounds good! What kind of lotion base should I use?

meltaway

i like camden grey or wholesale supplies plus, goatsmilk and honey base. but i think any good unscented cream would work, like maybe walmart-checkout aveno or maybe the baby isle. that way you dont have to spend a ton of money on your 1st try.

i have been toying with the idea of using aloe vera GEL., but never enough time!

have fun!

monet

meltaway

i accidentally left my jar of meltaway in my car for a couple of days in the heat. it didn't separate, but it changed the texture a bit. i dont think this recipe can take extreme heat very well. i know my car had to be at least 100 degrees.

monet

I wonder if adding a bit of an emulsifying agent would help bind the lotion base to the oils better to with stand some heat?

The lotion base may already has some water in it, and you know it has an emulsifying agent in it, but only enough to take it to a thin consistancy with water. Gotta be a way to fully incorporate the additional oils. Unless it was upwards to 150 degrees in a closed car in the summer. :lol:

I have everything, perhaps I will give this a try today. I am thinking an ice bath for the first phase with the oils? Maybe I need more coffee before even thinking about it? :lol:

Digit

meltaway

i think you have something with the em wax. as long as i have kept them around in the house, none ever morphed, even after 5-6 months, but the extreme heat gave it kind of an airy whipped-souffle kind of texture.

since we're only using 4 oz lotion base, what do you think? maybe 10-12 grms em wax?

monet

Latest posts

Back