My facial lotion attempts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milla

Reaction score
Today I had the urge to make a facial lotion. I'm trying to break free from my Mary Kay lotion. It's a lot of work buying my Mary Kay lotion!

The pink and blue are failed batches (way too oily). I thought grape seed would be a good oil for my face, but it felt like an oily coating.

The green hemp lotion on the right seems to be a nice lotion.

soap020.jpg

I'll have to thank Artisan Soaps for posting links to her favorite recipes. This wasn't one of the ones she picked, but it's from one of the websites and it's called organic hemp seed lotion. I was looking for something lighter than a cream, no butters, no stearic, and no glycerin. I used some aloe juice too. It's scented with Heaven Scent Patchouli FO, which is very sexy by the way!

Here's the link:
http://www.gonative.co.nz/Recipes/Lotions/Organic+hemp+seed+lotion.html

We'll see how my face does with this!

i make mine with 100% jojoba oil, emulsifying wax and water. no stearic acid or glycerin. It's been a big w/the women in my family as well as my customers. My mother was a 20 year Mary Kay consultant. And switched to my facial moisturizer. As did my aunt & grandmother. Jojoba oil is 100% non-comedogenic. And it is the only one that mimicks the sebum of your own skin. I have had great success with this. If it felt a little "heavy" I simply adjusted the ratio between the emulsifying wax and the water.

Wow, thanks Erin! I was debating using jojoba oil and then I found the hemp recipe so I thought I'd use that first.

I'm going to have to buy some more bottles so I can make some more trials. So far the hemp lotion is working well. No breakouts yet.

Do you use just the normal emulsifying wax or do you mix in BTMS-50, which I've read gives a conditioning feel. Just wondering how that works on faces.

I just made a hemp lotion and I can't stand the smell of the hemp. I wanted to keep this one au naturale (no color or scent) but pee-yooou. Gotta rework this one. :)

LJA said:
I just made a hemp lotion and I can't stand the smell of the hemp. I wanted to keep this one au naturale (no color or scent) but pee-yooou. Gotta rework this one. :)

Yes, it is bad!!! The patchouli from Heaven Scent (which does not smell like patchouli) is perfect with hemp oil. I use 1% and maybe a tad more to "taste". Also read that patchouli and orange is a good combo, more feminine. I might also try Nag Champa too. My friend said her fav is patchouli mixed with Nag Champa.

I'm panicking because the website I got my recipe from is down and I never wrote it down!!!! I hope it comes back up.

Hi Milla!

I don't add anything to my lotion or moisturizer formulas. No stearic acid, no glycerin or BTMS-50. And all my female customers love the consistency, feel and look to it. It saves me money and hassel as well. :D

Milla said:
Wow, thanks Erin! I was debating using jojoba oil and then I found the hemp recipe so I thought I'd use that first.

I'm going to have to buy some more bottles so I can make some more trials. So far the hemp lotion is working well. No breakouts yet.

Do you use just the normal emulsifying wax or do you mix in BTMS-50, which I've read gives a conditioning feel. Just wondering how that works on faces.

Milla said:
I'm panicking because the website I got my recipe from is down and I never wrote it down!!!! I hope it comes back up.

It is still down or very messed up if you get anywhere :cry:

Kitn

Thanks Artisan for the link, but unfortunately that's the hemp cream I made, not the lotion. But at least I have that one too! They had two recipes on that website (a cream and a lotion). The one I made only had ewax, hemp, water, FO, and preservative. I can't believe it's still down.

Thanks kitn. They were so much fun to make and I love putting different colors in the lotions. I leave the hemp green though, which I love.

The site is back up and I printed my recipe. Phew!

By the way, it's not a particularly moisturizing lotion (the lotion, not the cream).

Back