1. We are helping test out a new project for soapmakers. Soapmaking Friend. If you are interested in providing feedback and help guide this project to include all you want to see in a recipe builder and calculator please PM an Admin or post in the Announcements forum. Your feedback is really needed!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

My Creamy Cocoa/Shea GLS Tutorial

Discussion in 'Liquid Soap and Cream Soap Forum' started by IrishLass, Jan 4, 2016.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Feb 23, 2018 #161

Saponificarian

Saponificarian

Saponificarian

I don’t think so. I just put enough water for my paste and leave it to do it’s thing and occasionally shake or stir. Mine takes a few days. 2-3 days at room temperature.

bathgeek likes this.
  2. Feb 23, 2018 #162

bathgeek

bathgeek

bathgeek

Same. I usually leave it a week because I’m busy doing other stuff and I forget... ^_^

3. Feb 23, 2018 #163

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

It takes a day or three to dilute at room temperature. To start, I mash the paste into smaller chunks with a potato masher, add most (but not all) of the dilution water I think it will need, then let the mixture sit. Every so often when I think about it, I stir or mash the mixture some more.

Once most of the paste becomes liquid, I decide if it needs more water, add water as needed, and let it sit for a bit longer. As the soap gets closer to the right thickness, I add less and less water at each addition.

I don't usually stick blend it, but you can. Stick blending will work best when the soap is close to being diluted, so there aren't a lot of big lumps that a SB'er can't deal with. Stick blending might create heavy foam, but that will eventually dissipate.

4. Feb 23, 2018 #164

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

If you are making this particular formula- creamy cocoa shea- I don't know if it's possible to dilute it without applied heat because of the addition of the stearic acid that is added once the paste is finished/tongue-neutral. Stearic acid requires heat to melt, and the paste/dilution water also need to be at the same temp as the melted stearic in order for them to properly combine together and not end up with solid stearic bits in the finished soap (which I remember happening to a another soaper who tried adding melted stearic to the soap after it had already been diluted).

Re: stickblending. I've not ever tried forgoing the stickblender with this particular formula because of the added stearic (I consider a nice bit of high-shear blending at the end of dilution while things are still hot to be good insurance against stearic bits), but one can always try and report back how it worked out. I'd try it myself if I had a mind to, but I'm too hesitant to do so with this particular formula.

Re: canning jars. Although I personally love using canning jars when diluting (they work out perfectly for me), you can certainly use other means. I've actually been meaning to experiment with either roasting bags or sous vide bags, which are boilable, but I just haven't done so yet.

IrishLass :)

redhead1226 likes this.
  5. Feb 24, 2018 #165

Soapprentice

Soapprentice

Soapprentice

I used a stainless steel 'lota', as we call it in our language, and it worked well... Here it is.. thank you guys for helping and thank you irishlass for teaching.

Attached Files:

Serene, isha and IrishLass like this.
  6. Apr 19, 2018 #166

sephera

sephera

sephera

Hi All,

I might have got some fumes on a bare chest, doing the heat/Glycerine/KOH method.

I don't recommend that fumes are very hot.

I didn't see the water KOH/Glycerine method.

7. Apr 20, 2018 #167

girlfromoz

girlfromoz

girlfromoz

Wow thank-you for sharing, very generous of you to provide such information and help . I make Liquid Soap and so far am happy with it generally but hardly an expert, fabulous stuff, cheers

IrishLass likes this.
  8. May 6, 2018 #168

Anita32

Anita32

Anita32

Can I use aloe juice and hydrosols for dilution or is it strictly distilled water?

9. May 6, 2018 #169

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

I do not recommend anything but water for dilution. If you use aloe or hydrosols to dilute, you are adding carbohydrates to the soap and that increases the chances of microbial growth.

Serene likes this.
  10. May 7, 2018 #170

Soapprentice

Soapprentice

Soapprentice

So guys, it's summer here and there is an interesting experience... The liquid soap did not turn pearly opaque... It is cloudy clear.. and when we move the bottle to an air conditioned room, the opaque action takes place and once it is moved back into the room temp, it goes back to the cloudy clear.. the temp here is 35-40 degrees C..

11. May 7, 2018 #171

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

That is interesting! We are experiencing the same kinds of high temps here where I live, so I'm going to put a small amount of my soap outside and see what happens.

12. May 8, 2018 #172

redhead1226

redhead1226

redhead1226

Supporting Member

Irishlass - Thank you so much for this! Even though I think my brain just exploded. Lovely recipe . I'll have to go back and read it again and make my notes. But I'm going to attempt it. Just made a LS that I like but I want to love it!. HAHAHA on the " If you are unsure whether you felt a zap or not, then you can be sure that you did not. ...... lol -

IrishLass likes this.
  13. Nov 7, 2018 #173

zolveria

zolveria

zolveria

Can we heat this in a crock pot ? to help it along. after the welk stage ? @IrishLass

14. Nov 7, 2018 #174

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

You most certainly can if you are in a hurry. :)

15. Nov 7, 2018 #175

zolveria

zolveria

zolveria

@IrishLass Thank you .. funny i have a lot of froth in mine. ( Is This Normal ) i mixed it in.. Its really not that different from making MP soap.. Needed to make this for some Beard Shampoo.... Thanks a billion..

16. Nov 8, 2018 #176

zolveria

zolveria

zolveria

okay dont know why this soap is taking so long? it frothing. and thickening slowly this happen before with my MP soap? but it should take this long? ... I measured everything to the T wired i even go the bubbles ..

17. Nov 8, 2018 #177

zolveria

zolveria

zolveria

@IrishLass something wierd happen yesterday.. the paste never formed. I did double the recipe ?
    this morning i redid it only using 1 pound and it all work itself out paste formed now waiting for it do its little change.

IM perplexed.. as to what could have gone wrong. the only factor was the heat.. ARRGG

18. Nov 8, 2018 #178

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

Irish lass has generously detailed the exact procedure to make liquid soap using a stress free method.

You changed the process and now wonder why it didn’t work.
    Start again and follow Irish lass’s procedure to the letter.

19. Nov 8, 2018 #179

zolveria

zolveria

zolveria

she said i can heat it.. I think the problem was i doubled everything .

I did it again this morning. 1lb only and all worked well.

The doubling probably made it lye heavy which is weird. but all is well now :) thanks guys