My Cousins Vinny and Sal (butter)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltwater Scented

Reaction score
Tinkering around tonight. For some reason known only to the me that existed at the time I was shopping, I picked up a pound of Sal/Shorea butter a few weeks back. I can't seem to find too much about it. I swear I read it's good for oily skin, but I've slept since then as well.

Anyone know if this is going to be worth making? If not, what the heck is Sal butter good for other than a funky funky toast recipe?

Olive Oil 45%
Coconut Oil 20%
Almond Oil 10%
Shea Butter 10%
Sal Butter 10%
Castor Oil 5%

Attachments

• My Cousin Vinny and Sal.jpg
    My Cousin Vinny and Sal.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 19
It seems like a perfectly good butter based on what I’ve read poking around on the web. I’m seeing steric content similar to Shea or mango butter and oleic close to palm oil. If you try it, I hope you will let us know how it works for you.

I believe I'm going to make it this weekend. Half will be just the base, other half with some AC thrown in for fun.

Just went into the mold. Made it with the saltwater mix from Zany's No Slime Castille, so there's that. Did it all Poppycock because I'm not feeling the blending of colors and layering and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's one of those lesser known butters, like kokum, from India that I wish I had lol

The resin is used a lot in Ayurveda.

What I've been told, is that it's similar to cocoa butter in hardness but glides on the skin differently. Haven't tried so don't know lol

But if that's the case, in soap I'm guessing it'll give you a nice solid bar.

That's one of those lesser known butters, like kokum, from India that I wish I had lol

What I've been told, is that it's similar to cocoa butter in hardness but glides on the skin differently. Haven't tried so don't know lol

Hmmm. I probably should make another batch with cocoa butter for a side by side comparison.

Did the cocoa butter sister batch about an hour ago. Everything the same except the fragrance, lemon tea cake for this new one, and no colorants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sal butter is great in soap and lotion. I use it exclusively and in lotions it is less greasy than cocoa or shea butter. It’s a harder butter so you’ll use less in lotions. It leaves a shine on my skin which I love.

I find it quite hard and shatter-y and it's oily, but seems to absorb well? I've only used it in lip balms so far.

I find it quite hard and shatter-y and it's oily, but seems to absorb well? I've only used it in lip balms so far.
Just use less. My first batch of whipped butter I used 50% and that was way too much. It was so hard so I kept adding olive oil until it whipped nicely. My first soap I used like 25% and my son said it made his skin oily. Now I use about 5-7 percent and a low superfat and it works fine.

Latest posts

Back