My CO soap will not make suds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MySoapyHeart

Bee Happy
Reaction score
At all. Like 0% sudsing or bubbling action. Rubbing like my life depended on it, and nothing. Like washing your hands with a stick of butter.
It has cured 5 weeks.
What could be going on? It is rock hard, impossible to cut with a knife or break, it smells lovely of lavender/lemongrass and makes my hands so soft.
I have made this recipe sooo many times (well, not with that ammount of castor that is!) and never ever had this happen to me at all, not with any of my soapbatches.
It is just a simple coconut soap, superfatted at 20%, with castor.

Recipe using soapcalc - 20% SF:

Coconut 83.33 % - 92 deg.
Castor oil - 16.67 % (I know it is a lot, usually I have used up to 5%, but wanted to experiment just this time)
Water: 8.04 oz.
Lye: 2.95 oz.
A dash of Lemongrass & Lavender essential oil (0.66 oz)

Luckily it was just a small batch (17 oz) but still, since it is for all of us here I am disappointed that it is so useless as I really looked forward to using it after the cure.

Any ideas of what could be the case? All my soaps have always had crazy lather, so this threw me by surprize big time!

The only thing I could think of - but still find puzzling since the soap is so rock hard, is that the lye could not be as effective as it should be? It came from a bran new cannister, never been opened before. The only thing was, I discovered a few clumps in it. Could this be the source of the problem?

And also, what could I do with this "soap"? If I shred it I would imagine it would inhibit the suds of the other soap... I could of course shred it and use as confetti on top of other soaps, just for decoration. But seems like such a waste...
Thank you in advance:)http://www.soapmakingforum.com//no.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Since you all ganged up at the ammount of Castor I added, I will in the future stick to my usual as before mentioned 5%, it was probably the issue here! Good to know what not to do and learn from it. This was my first soapbatch that was not doing what it should so I was probably due for some soapy weirdness.

Made this Meme for future reference...:mrgreen:
saringpememe%205_zpsdoylztyk.jpg

castor_zpsjadtn6mb.jpg
Does it make any lather or suds on a shower poof? It might just be too much castor and it's inhibiting the formation of suds.
NO sudsing, even with my aloofa!

Agree - castor at higher amounts is a downer for bubbles
Will remember that!

A little castor is really more in soap. It is not a bubbly oil, but helps support bubbles
Thank you for your reply.

I think you messed up with the castor oil. It's better to cap it at 5%.
Agreed, I have never used more than 5% before, and everything was great. 16% = Big no-no.http://www.soapmakingforum.com//no.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:
Back