My childhood quilt...and my Grammy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
I haven't been around much, and I'm going to try and get better about it...
My Grammy fell ill, and I went to see her. I drove almost 19 hours to NY, and was able to spend just 5 days with her. Shortly after I began the trip back to Missouri, I got the phone call I had been dreading. Grammy was gone. My worst day, but a blessing also. She isn't in pain anymore, and mine is a little less each day.
Little did I know the gift that was waiting for me at home... Grammy had started a quilt shortly after I was born. It wasn't completed until 1973 ( yep, I'm old...lol). She sent it before she got sick, and never told me. The handwriting is her actual handwriting, she just stitched over it, and the sunbonnet's dresses are all pieces of clothing I wore as a baby, every bit of it is hand quilted.
She was 1 week away from 94 when she passed, and had been the light of my life, more my mother than my own ever has been.

Attachments

• 170415_426813680674400_1602745679_o (2).jpg
    170415_426813680674400_1602745679_o (2).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 34
  • quilt.jpg
    quilt.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 32
  • quilt2.jpg
    quilt2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 32
That is such a precious gift. I recently lost my sentimental baby blanket because my shed leaked without us knowing.

What a wonder, fantastic treasure. Sunbonnet Sue is always a cute quilt pattern. I would figure out a way to display it but not really use it. You do not want the Sunbonnet Sue fabric to give way due to washing it. No washing the guilt! Old fabric is fantastic but not durable.

I have a quilt from one of my grammys made when my dad was little, as was the normal she used the girls dresses and boys shirts for fabric. Many of the fabric patchwork pieces have deteriorated and was when I received it over 40 yrs ago. I still have it and treasure it although it is stored in a non- acid box. I had a cleaners clean and package mine

What a precious gift and so thoughtful too!

She sounds like a wonderful person. I'm so glad you had the chance to say goodbye, although it must have been heartbreaking!

Thankyou so much for sharing this with us.

I'm sorry Stacy. But so glad you had those 5 days together. I bet that quilt smells like her; it's priceless - she knew she was sending you a box of memories.

So sorry for your loss, dear. My grandmother passed away last fall, she was also a quilter. My mom was 16 when I was born so grandma helped raise me, so I know what you mean about "being more a mother". I have the quilt my grandma made when I was born (made from old pieces of her grandparents clothing), as well as one she made for my sweet 16 which is mostly rags at this point because I have used that quilt a LOT. I have the pieces of my wedding quilt she started when Chris and I got engaged, but she was too sick to finish it. Maybe this winter I will tackle finding someone to help me finish it, or at least get it to a size that could be used as a wall hanging. (I do not enjoy sewing, it's outside my range of patience, so this would really be a labor of love.)

I am so sorry for your loss. Both of my grandmothers had favorite children that weren't my parents, so we were always the C-Level grandkids. So I so envy the special, wonderful relationships that some people have with a grandparent.

The quilt is beautiful, what a special gift! Not sure what your financial situation is, but if you can, it might be worthwhile to have the quilt professionally photographed. Because sadly, sometimes things happen to precious objects.

Latest posts

Back