My bird's coming home!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret

Reaction score
When I was in high school, I was working at PETsMART and bought a Sun Conure parrot, Coral. That was in 1997. He stayed with my mom while I went off to college (1998-2002). Then I came home, and got married in 2005. My husband said we'd give him a shot while she went on vacation with her then boyfriend. We also have a rabbit and a Rottwieler in the house. Coral did ok. When she got back, we kept him for a week and she complained that she was lonely, etc. So he went back to her.

Well.... now my dear mother is dating someone else, someone she actually wants to spend time with. She's changed most of her work hours to days and now says Coral needs to go because she has a life. He's used to be out of his cage all day, and someone being home. I found out she's leaving him home alone on the weekends. So now he's hardly getting out of his cage at all. She told me this morning that I need to come get him.

I talked to my husband, and he said that since the weather is nice (67!), to go get him tonight on my way home from work. Mom doesn't know, and I won't tell her till it's done. I don't want to hear it. If she breaks up with this guy, she's not getting him back. I won't keep moving him around, it's not fair to him.

Anyways, I'm thrilled about it. I miss my little, extremely loud, birdy. And since we live in the country, no one will care if he screams ;)

Here's a pic from a few years ago:

coral.jpg

Please keep your fingers crossed that he doesn't get eaten by the dog! He's going in my office, where the rabbit is. I'm sure she will be thrilled :wink:

Here's more info on Suns if you've never heard of them:

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/bird ... t1298.html

What a gorgeous bird and so glad he's coming home to stay. It's so hard on animals to be moved around a lot.

Congrats!

Very pretty. I heard that birds living in a cage by themselves can get very depressed, suffer emotional problems like people do. Could you not get a companion for this bird?

Oh he is so pretty! I wish I could have a Macaw, they are just way too much work for someone like me who works 80 hours a darn week :)

Woodi said:
Very pretty. I heard that birds living in a cage by themselves can get very depressed, suffer emotional problems like people do. Could you not get a companion for this bird?

Birds with other bird companions get very standoffish with humans. Coral was hand-fed, so humans are "mom", if you want to put it that way. He's never been with other animals, but he met the rabbit last night. Poor bunny wasn't too happy, she's been thumping every time he makes noise ;) She'll get used to it though. He seems to be settling in fine so far.

I'll have to take more photos and post them :)

Beautiful bird!!

My uncle had a bird once that was so attached to him that he'd get so stressed when my uncle would go to work. He ended up pulling his feathers out. That had to put him on a birdy dose of prozac and my uncle had to start taking him to work with him until he got better.

Latest posts

Back