My Bay Rum FO didn't get mixed 100%

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott312

Reaction score
CP soap
60% lard
30% coconut 76
10% castor
2.3 % FO

I had bad lighting and I thought I had it mixed all the way. When I poured it into the 2 loft molds I noticed a little bit didn't get mixed in. The soap was starting to set kinda fast and I had to get it into those molds as you guys well know.

So how much trouble am I in? :???:

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
CP soap
60% lard
30% coconut 76
10% castor
2.3 % FO

I had bad lighting and I thought I had it mixed all the way. When I poured it into the 2 loft molds I noticed a little bit didn't get mixed in. The soap was starting to set kinda fast and I had to get it into those molds as you guys well know.

So how much trouble am I in? :???:

Thanks guys.

I'm gonna say not much trouble. Your FO won't be distributed evenly but it's more important to get the oil and lye properly mixed.

Did you hand mix, or stick blend?

Its really hard to say since we can't see how much was not mixed in, and I think there are some fo's that never do well if they aren't sb'd as some are "heavier" than others.

Chances are, even it the fo puddles on top the soap will absorb at least some of it. What doesn't you can towel off. There could be streaks of fo throughout the soap.

I'm gonna say not much trouble. Your FO won't be distributed evenly but it's more important to get the oil and lye properly mixed.

Thanks. I got all the other mixed well. Thanks for the reply :)
Did you hand mix, or stick blend?

Its really hard to say since we can't see how much was not mixed in, and I think there are some fo's that never do well if they aren't sb'd as some are "heavier" than others.

Chances are, even it the fo puddles on top the soap will absorb at least some of it. What doesn't you can towel off. There could be streaks of fo throughout the soap.

Thank you guys for the reply. It stressed me out a little bit. And thank you for the FO tips. I had a little puddle in the corner of the 1501 molds. Just in 1 corner in each. I didn't see any streaks thank goodness. My first batch 5 weeks ago had a clear FO. I may not had mixed that 100 % :) It came out very nice.

I used a stick blender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys for the reply. It stressed me out a little bit. And thank you for the FO tips. I had a little puddle in the corner of the 1501 molds. Just in 1 corner in each. I didn't see any streaks thank goodness. My first batch 5 weeks ago had a clear FO. I may not had mixed that 100 % :) It came out very nice.

I used a stick blender.

It'll be okay, but you could consider just stirring or gently whisking when incorporating the FO. It could be easier to get it mixed properly without getting the batter too thick. Go easy with the blender. Use it in bursts and stir to make an even mixture and keep track of where you're at.

It'll be okay, but you could consider just stirring or gently whisking when incorporating the FO. It could be easier to get it mixed properly without getting the batter too thick. Go easy with the blender. Use it in bursts and stir to make an even mixture and keep track of where you're at.

Yes. Knowing when to only stir or whisk or use sb to mix the fo is something that only comes with lots of experience since some blend so much easier than others, some streak more than others, etc. I try to sb the fo if at all possible, even for a second.

Then...there's floral fo's. And some of those are really...entertaining to mix! Always read the reviews on floral and spice fragrance oils to get a feel for how they behave. (seizing, ricing, soap on a stick)

Also, going forward you may want to just add your FO to the oils and mix well before adding the lye. Then you won't have to worry about getting it well mixed. I've been doing it this way for several years and it's worked well. It also prevents me from forgetting it altogether.

Yes. Knowing when to only stir or whisk or use sb to mix the fo is something that only comes with lots of experience since some blend so much easier than others, some streak more than others, etc. I try to sb the fo if at all possible, even for a second.

Then...there's floral fo's. And some of those are really...entertaining to mix! Always read the reviews on floral and spice fragrance oils to get a feel for how they behave. (seizing, ricing, soap on a stick)

Thank you for the good advise!

Also, going forward you may want to just add your FO to the oils and mix well before adding the lye. Then you won't have to worry about getting it well mixed. I've been doing it this way for several years and it's worked well. It also prevents me from forgetting it altogether.

Oh that's a great Ideal. Thank you.

I guess all is well :) the soap in the far back was my first soap batch. It was 100% Lard. I'm with the big boys now that I have just made a 3 oil batch :think:

Thank you guys and girls for the help.

soapbadFomix.jpg

Last edited:
Back