My Attempt At Pears Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Gregory

Reaction score
Using ISG's recipe here on Soap Forums I made the attempt.

More complicated than any other recipe I have tried. It's not pretty, not translucent. My fragrance died [2 oz] within one day even though I let the slurry cool to 128 degrees and when I took the bars out of the mold they were sticky.

However: it's been three weeks now. I have run a fan on them for days at a time and they're becoming harder. Pears itself used to cure for three months back when I was a kid in the 18th Century. I'll leave it out for a month or so.

Expensive, messy [but engaging] and a challenge to get it right.

I measured out everything the night before, so I was ready to start the next day.

What I have learned has been invaluable though. Many thanks, ISG and Soap Forums

Video I made:
https://rumble.com/vamh0h-homemade-pears-soap.html
My soap skills are better than my video talents, sorry to say.

Attachments

• DSCN0629.JPG
    DSCN0629.JPG
    402.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0631.JPG
    DSCN0631.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0632.JPG
    DSCN0632.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN0636.JPG
    DSCN0636.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN0634.JPG
    DSCN0634.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 23
Here is where to find @lsg 's recipe for Pear Soap, for anyone reading here that wants to find it: My Version of Pear's Soap
Thanks. My oversight. I did include it in the video description but not here. D'oh!

Looks nice :)
This is one recipe I keep saying I'll do it, for my grandma, but always forget, sigh.
Thanks, Dawni. Not so sure about it but it seems to be turning into a very hard bar.
It's messy [well for me, it is] and proved pretty pricey once all the parts are gathered. It made about 10-11 4 [4.5?] oz bars
Plus I found out that it's easier to weigh ingredients in grams than ounces. At least it seems so.
I love Pears and have used it for years. This will be a good soap I think. But it's going to cure for quite awhile before I can find out.

I have made lsg's recipe too, and I thank lsg so much for sharing it with us.

I wasn't as happy with the dupe soap as I was with the real Pears soap I used it in the 70s and 80s. But the dupe was a good experiment to try and I don't regret making a batch to learn what it was like.

I have made lsg's recipe too, and I thank lsg so much for sharing it with us.

I wasn't as happy with the dupe soap as I was with the real Pears soap I used it in the 70s and 80s. But the dupe was a good experiment to try and I don't regret making a batch to learn what it was like.
It was pricey but I learned so much, DeeAnna. I still have glycerine left and may do a clear glycerine soap in the future, so each attempt seems to feed the next.

Latest posts

Back