My Apologies to the Forum

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n6561echo

Reaction score
My 17 year old nephew has been living with us for the past month, while his family is in Thailand. Until today,
I have foolishly allowed him to use our computer, and to access our new Soapmaking Forum account. A decision I now regret. Although, he is highly intelligent, by engaging in this ridiculous charade, he has dem-onstrated a disappointing lack of maturity, questionable decision-making skills, and lack of social constraints.
By posting such appalling, personal comments, I acknowledge that he has offended many forum members,
embarrassed himself, my family, and especially his father, whose name and reputation he uncaringly jeopar-dized. While the scientific information he posted may have been appropriate, his selfish, adolescent behavior
was not. It is for those comments, and behaviors, that I offer my sincere apologies.

I would also like to assure forum members that all necessary passwords have been changed, and that he no
longer has access to our computer.

Paul McClain
n6561 echo

Thank you Paul. I did think that some of the posts by n6561 were a little 'off', glad to see it's not you!
My son, when he was 9, ordered a scooter online using my credit card. Actually he ordered two by mistake. Luckily I was able to cancel the order in time without penalty. A 17 year old should know better however - but as we know kids are kids! Tell him his name is Rumpelstiltskin! ;)

Thank you Paul. I did think that some of the posts by n6561 were a little 'off', glad to see it's not you!
My son, when he was 9, ordered a scooter online using my credit card. Actually he ordered two by mistake. Luckily I was able to cancel the order in time without penalty. A 17 year old should know better however - but as we know kids are kids! Tell him his name is Rumpelstiltskin! ;)
Hi KiwiMoose, Thanks for your response. Your time and kind words are much appreciated.

You, sir, made an honest mistake. We've all trusted the wrong person at some point and it would be wrong to blame you for even this child's irresponsibility (a 17 yr old is definitely old enough to know better). Now that I know the reason behind the troll-like behavior, I have no further misgivings. I hope the lad comes to really learn a lesson in this. I hope not much damage has been done for his father's sake but for your nephew, unfortunately, whatever comes out of this, if it affects him, he brought it on himself, especially with all the lurkers on this site. It's much easier for people to unknowingly shoot themselves in the foot with a false sense of anonymity.

My 17 year old nephew has been living with us for the past month, while his family is in Thailand. Until today, I have foolishly allowed him to use our computer, and to access our new Soapmaking Forum account. A decision I now regret. Although, he is highly intelligent, by engaging in this ridiculous charade, he has demonstrated a disappointing lack of maturity, questionable decision-making skills, and lack of social constraints.

“Foolish” and “regret” are not yours to own, but your nephew’s. He’s a kid. Kids often do stupid things. No worries.

You, sir, made an honest mistake. We've all trusted the wrong person at some point and it would be wrong to blame you for even this child's irresponsibility (a 17 yr old is definitely old enough to know better). Now that I know the reason behind the troll-like behavior, I have no further misgivings. I hope the lad comes to really learn a lesson in this. I hope not much damage has been done for his father's sake but for your nephew, unfortunately, whatever comes out of this, if it affects him, he brought it on himself, especially with all the lurkers on this site. It's much easier for people to unknowingly shoot themselves in the foot with a false sense of anonymity.
Thank you Arimara. In several acceptance speeches, my brother has made clear that he believes, success and professional recognition are founded on honesty, integrity, and hard work. I'm sure my nephew is not looking forward to the upcoming lecture he's going to receive when my brother gets
home. Hopefully, these words will become his mantra, as he starts Yale, in the fall.

Sorry, I actually have no idea what's going on but this made me laugh.. I have two boys lol
I had 3 and 2 took until 27 to get it together.
One did graphic design at University, worked as a landscaper then decided to be a builder. The other finished university but played computer games until he suddenly found his niche (not related to his degree) at 27. The other is an accountant and started his own successful, still growing, business at 25.

Boys are not like girls. Which is not a bad thing, just different.

Last edited:
Thank you Arimara. In several acceptance speeches, my brother has made clear that he believes, success and professional recognition are founded on honesty, integrity, and hard work. I'm sure my nephew is not looking forward to the upcoming lecture he's going to receive when my brother gets
home. Hopefully, these words will become his mantra, as he starts Yale, in the fall.
I had a 17 year old son once. He really grew up by 25 and at 30 he is a delight.
When he was 17, I made him change his computer password to “integrity” as a daily reminder :)

I agree with this as well. It takes a while but with time, it's very rewarding to see the fruits of your labors while holding true to those three things.

Well, my "little" brother is 30 now but he is *just* starting to get his act together if at all... At 17 he was quite a troll too even though he has always been extremely smart.
So, no worries at all, these things happen. While we should always try to be kind, really no one should get seriously offended by anonymous posters on a Forum...

I agree with the gecko. Boys don’t grow up until they are 25, if you are lucky! :rolleyes::cool::D

I have two boys and two girls. Oldest is a Marine...sowed his wild oats in the ‘sand box’ and is attorney. Youngest son will be thirty...it took a 6 month stint in the county lock up and almost missing his daughter’s first Christmas before he starting pulling his head out of his butt. He just became a father again and I couldn’t be more proud of how he has turned his life around.

My girls are in the middle and took their time growing up...oldest daughter is a welder and still likes to party, youngest works security and is a gamer.

Step-son has always been pretty responsible. He’s 34, married, wife is a nurse, he has four degrees, a great job, bought a house, will have his student debt paid in full in a few more years.

@n6561echo, My 34 yo daughter has just gotten her life somewhat in order. My 32 yo daughter got it together at 28! I fear that our school system is infantizing our kids, rather than getting them ready for life as an adult. But as teenagers, both of mine kept on the edge of my seat! My 16yo granddaughter is on the spectrum, and has her own ideas about life. I can at least talk with her about her behavior - where her mother didn't.

I do think his father will put this to rights, as you have the proof of the errors and ignorance.

My 17 year old nephew has been living with us for the past month, while his family is in Thailand. Until today, I have foolishly allowed him to use our computer, and to access our new Soapmaking Forum account. A decision I now regret. Although, he is highly intelligent, by engaging in this ridiculous charade, he has demonstrated a disappointing lack of maturity, questionable decision-making skills, and lack of social constraints.
Even at 17, teenagers still need guidance and some of that comes in the form of moral outrage at some particular behavior. Though it is painful for you, it might be a blessing for him to learn these lessons now rather than later.
My son was about that age in the early '90s, very smart, loved video games, etc. At some point I found out that he was copying friends' games to add to his collection. I went ballistic on him about how the games were copyrighted and to copy them was the same as stealing. (also because I worked for a company with a strong R&D department, patent law and protections were in my radar, and I saw copyrights in the same light) To this day, he remembers our talk and what a big impression it made on him. Some acts that may seem harmless are not. It's important to think about the whole picture.
So, hopefully the life lesson that your nephew gets out of this will stick with him.

Back