My Amazing Granddaughter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 11 yr old granddaughter that I miss terribly after moving away close to a year ago is just amazing. She is the one that has raised butterflies and mantis since she was around 4 and picking up and collecting mantis since she was 2. She has also had chickens since she was approx 4 yrs old.

Last night 2 of her favorite Giant Jersey Roosters were attacked by the other one and hurt pretty badly. She brought them in, both bleeding pretty badly from neck and head wounds. Autumn got pads and started moping up the blood, my daughter is not good at it other than coaching and getting the necessary supplies for Autumn, she opened up their mouths to check their throats to see if they were clear. Treated them with stop bleed and antibiotic ointments. Wash their eyes and heads all the while holding and soothing them. She fixed them up in portable coops with towels and straws for the night, said her prayers for them and went to bed. This morning she was up at 5:30 am checking only them, cooking them cheesy grits, blending them in the blender to smooth them out and hand-feeding them. They were standing up waiting for her. By this afternoon they were starting to crow but they are not out of the woods yet. The bully is gone to a new home with another very large flock. I told her if they make it tonight they should have a good chance. prayer-smiley-emoticon.png
This is a child that will sit up most of the night keeping an eye on a sick mantis. She would make an amazing Vet.

She has also started feeding and cleaning the water trough of the landlords' horses that are not doing well because their loser landlords are not feeding their horses. Her landlord tells her they eat the natural growth in the field, except they have had so much snow there is not much growth except some pretty thorny bushes. They are in northern Reno. According to my daughter, they are at least 100 lbs underweight. :( These horses are apparently not nice horses but they have become very attached to Autumn and she checks on them daily. The problem is my daughter cannot afford to be feeding horses but she is like me and cannot stand to see someone or something go hungry.

Bless her little heart - I hope her chickens are okay. Is there any way the landlords can be reported anonymously? I know it wouldn't be good for them to have the landlord know it was them that reported, but those poor animals. Hopefully real natural growth will grow soon.

That is more than amazing. She is truly unique and has a strength I can't even begin to describe.

As for the starving horses; are you asking for help? Say.... maybe some soapers would pitch in to buy bales of hay to have delivered to granddaughter's side of the fence? Or someone needs to contact ASPCA or Nevada Animal Control? I bet their hooves are neglected too.

No, I am not asking for help. There is hay there, but the hay is not in good shape. The landlords live very close to my daughter and somehow they listen in to conversations. My kids have been suspicious of this since they have moved there because there have been many coincidences of things being said or done after she and her husband have spoken of something. The people are really weird, but they just cannot find another place to move to. Ironically today after my daughter mentioned to me about the hay she heard the son start of the 4 wheeler and take hay down to the horses. Autumn has been giving them some supplements, veggies, fruit and other items her horse trainer has recommended. She gets to take riding lessons since they moved away from here and dad is still working. That was iffy last week, but he is still working overtime in the mine.

Of course, during these hard times and food shortages up there she cannot do a lot since she has a large flock of very spoiled chickens that eat a Lot! Those chickens eat better than many people. During cold mornings they get large pans of freshly cooked oatmeal with fruit, nuts and whatever else she has to sprinkle over it. When I was there visiting every morning I cooked their oatmeal for them. It was unbelievable how fast they would gobble up two roasting pans of oatmeal and would be lined up waiting for it.

EDTA: She also watches everything show on tv with surgeries and has since about 4 yrs old. Whether the surgeries are people or animals. She used to try to get me to watch Pimple Popple. Yuck. :nonono:

Last edited:
Wow, what an amazing little girl. A very kind and nurturing spirit.

I agree with @Susie it is likely illegal, but if they are not in a position to move turning them in could be detrimental. I hope they find a way out of that horrible place. In the meantime, while they are kinda stuck there, maybe find the devices, document what they find with pictures etc. and turn them in before the next unsuspecting victims move into the place.

My 11 yr old granddaughter that I miss terribly after moving away close to a year ago is just amazing. She is the one that has raised butterflies and mantis since she was around 4 and picking up and collecting mantis since she was 2. She has also had chickens since she was approx 4 yrs old.

Last night 2 of her favorite Giant Jersey Roosters were attacked by the other one and hurt pretty badly. She brought them in, both bleeding pretty badly from neck and head wounds. Autumn got pads and started moping up the blood, my daughter is not good at it other than coaching and getting the necessary supplies for Autumn, she opened up their mouths to check their throats to see if they were clear. Treated them with stop bleed and antibiotic ointments. Wash their eyes and heads all the while holding and soothing them. She fixed them up in portable coops with towels and straws for the night, said her prayers for them and went to bed. This morning she was up at 5:30 am checking only them, cooking them cheesy grits, blending them in the blender to smooth them out and hand-feeding them. They were standing up waiting for her. By this afternoon they were starting to crow but they are not out of the woods yet. The bully is gone to a new home with another very large flock. I told her if they make it tonight they should have a good chance. View attachment 44915
This is a child that will sit up most of the night keeping an eye on a sick mantis. She would make an amazing Vet.

She has also started feeding and cleaning the water trough of the landlords' horses that are not doing well because their loser landlords are not feeding their horses. Her landlord tells her they eat the natural growth in the field, except they have had so much snow there is not much growth except some pretty thorny bushes. They are in northern Reno. According to my daughter, they are at least 100 lbs underweight. :( These horses are apparently not nice horses but they have become very attached to Autumn and she checks on them daily. The problem is my daughter cannot afford to be feeding horses but she is like me and cannot stand to see someone or something go hungry.

What a sweet child your granddaughter is. As a child I wanted to be a vet and was always saving wildlife. I actually had a mourning dove as a pet for ten years before she passed of old age. I still have a very soft heart for animals so I understand. Warms my heart to read this.

Wow, what an amazing little girl. A very kind and nurturing spirit.

I agree with @Susie it is likely illegal, but if they are not in a position to move turning them in could be detrimental. I hope they find a way out of that horrible place. In the meantime, while they are kinda stuck there, maybe find the devices, document what they find with pictures etc. and turn them in before the next unsuspecting victims move into the place.
They actually found a couple of smart light bulbs a couple of months after moving in, which they removed and have put away, so yes they do know these people have bugs and yes it is very illegal. So now they have some other listening device from the outside. My kids will file reports and turn in the bulbs when they finally find a place to move. They just cannot afford to report them at this time.

I am anxious to find out how the boys are today and if they are still with her.

They actually found a couple of smart light bulbs a couple of months after moving in, which they removed and have put away, so yes they do know these people have bugs and yes it is very illegal. So now they have some other listening device from the outside. My kids will file reports and turn in the bulbs when they finally find a place to move. They just cannot afford to report them at this time.

I am anxious to find out how the boys are today and if they are still with her.

Sad situation. Hopefully they can find something better soon.

What a sweet child your granddaughter is. As a child I wanted to be a vet and was always saving wildlife. I actually had a mourning dove as a pet for ten years before she passed of old age. I still have a very soft heart for animals so I understand. Warms my heart to read this.
When my girls were little I was out buying Austrian Crystals to get a skating dress done. When I arrived home my hubby told me to look in the box and I said I did not want to. Everyone had been warned I was on a time crunch that day. Well, guess what two featherless birds and a broken nest. It was an accident my daughter and her friend her trying to see the baby birds in the nest when one of them fell and took the nest with them. Sadly there was no replacing the nest. This was the days before the internet. So off I go trying to find out what to do for them and could find no help so I had to wing it. Long story short I raised those two babies in a dishpan on a heating pad which turned out to be Morning Doves. Eventually getting them outside into a makeshift Avery that I left the door open during the day and they were allowed to come and go, closing the door at night. They did finally leave after about a year and a half, although they would come and sit on the fence for about the next 6 months when my daughter would play the toy ukelele she had that played when they were babies.

I will say it was a lot of work to raise those little featherless babies. I had a customer at the time that was mad at me and accused me of rewarding my daughter after doing something bad. But she had no answers when I asked her if I was supposed to let them just die and my kids were not allowed to play with them, but they had to help clean, feed and care for them. Also, it was an accident according to dad.

The dress did get finished sometime in the wee hrs of the morning. It was for a relative's daughter that had a competition the next day.

When my girls were little I was out buying Austrian Crystals to get a skating dress done. When I arrived home my hubby told me to look in the box and I said I did not want to. Everyone had been warned I was on a time crunch that day. Well, guess what two featherless birds and a broken nest. It was an accident my daughter and her friend her trying to see the baby birds in the nest when one of them fell and took the nest with them. Sadly there was no replacing the nest. This was the days before the internet. So off I go trying to find out what to do for them and could find no help so I had to wing it. Long story short I raised those two babies in a dishpan on a heating pad which turned out to be Morning Doves. Eventually getting them outside into a makeshift Avery that I left the door open during the day and they were allowed to come and go, closing the door at night. They did finally leave after about a year and a half, although they would come and sit on the fence for about the next 6 months when my daughter would play the toy ukelele she had that played when they were babies.

I will say it was a lot of work to raise those little featherless babies. I had a customer at the time that was mad at me and accused me of rewarding my daughter after doing something bad. But she had no answers when I asked her if I was supposed to let them just die and my kids were not allowed to play with them, but they had to help clean, feed and care for them. Also, it was an accident according to dad.

The dress did get finished sometime in the wee hrs of the morning. It was for a relative's daughter that had a competition the next day.

Aaawwww...what a great story. I love birds and like you saved many over the years. Little Angel was very small for a mourning dove and became very attached to me. We would put her out on a lilac tree during the day early on but she would never fly away. Eventually we felt it was too risky to let her spend time outside as she was clearly here to stay and couldn’t fly well. She was a wonderful loving pet. Sadly I was in college when she passed but my mom was caring for her and held her and comforted her til the very end. I still miss that sweet bird.

Aaawwww...what a great story. I love birds and like you saved many over the years. Little Angel was very small for a mourning dove and became very attached to me. We would put her out on a lilac tree during the day early on but she would never fly away. Eventually we felt it was too risky to let her spend time outside as she was clearly here to stay and couldn’t fly well. She was a wonderful loving pet. Sadly I was in college when she passed but my mom was caring for her and held her and comforted her til the very end. I still miss that sweet bird.
They are sweet birds. Our Morning Doves were full size and we gave them the choice to stay or leave by leaving the Avery up until they no longer came back to it.

If I may make a recommendation, a good thing to have in a chicken first aid kit is Vetericyn. It's like magical unicorn juice. I've healed so many injuries on animals with this stuff. Things you wouldn't even believe. Just spray the wound with it three times a day and apply neosporin and I swear you will see a difference in as little as three days.

If I may make a recommendation, a good thing to have in a chicken first aid kit is Vetericyn. It's like magical unicorn juice. I've healed so many injuries on animals with this stuff. Things you wouldn't even believe. Just spray the wound with it three times a day and apply neosporin and I swear you will see a difference in as little as three days.
I think they have it in their kit, but I will certainly pass on the information just in case they do not. Thank you very much for the info. Going to text the info now.
Would it be this one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OF8NNY/ref=psdc_2975290011_t1_B00425DZTM I am just going to order some and have it sent to her.

Yes that's the one.
I just heard back from my daughter, she does have some and will treat the little Jersey tomorrow with it. Thank you again for the info. I am not going to cancel the order for the bottle I ordered on Amazon since I am sure she will use it eventually. You just never know what you can learn on a Soap forum. :dance:

I've been told there's product similar to Vetericyn for use on humans. I don't think I've ever seen it on the market (or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place). But of course a person could use the animal version on themselves. Not that I would do that ... of course not. ;)

It's good stuff -- as safe and non irritating a product that you can use on a wound or skin problem. It doesn't sting or smell, and it's kinda cool and soothing on an itchy or warm-feeling injury.

Latest posts

Back