My 2nd batch of soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheaMay

Reaction score
I've been reading about how to make soap for the past 3 months but was too afraid to make a batch unto recently. Thanks to all the expertise and very helpful soap makers on this forum and Youtube videos especially Soy and Shea and Wicked Lee Goods (I'm in Australia), I managed to make my second batch of soap last week. I put my fragrance oil in straight up in my first batch which was a really stupid thing to do for a beginner and I didn't get my colours in before it quickly moved on me and went to heavy trace, so I ended up with uncoloured soap. This time I put the fragrance in last thing and while I managed to do a hanger swirl I still over did it and didn't get to do the drop swirl I wanted to do. I read its quite common for new soapers to over blend so I'm confident I will only get better :)

IMG_02431.jpg

Last edited:
Keely at Soy & Shea is an excellent resource. Maybe it's just me, but it took me almost two months before I attempted any more than a single color or simple two-color layered soap.

And it's NOT stupid to add your FO before separating your colors, you just want to make sure you have a well-behaved fragrance and don't over blend. And your soap looks nice.

Where are you buying your FO and what is it?
I don’t use any FO that has reviews that it accelerates.
Im in Australia so its difficult to get FO with reviews. I had some FO for candles that I didnt like and thought I would practice with them. Im not sure if it accelerated, more so that I put the FO in before I seperated and added colours and I had no experience with how to detect trace and blended too much. The second batch I added a different FO last thing and it seemed to behave ok.

Last edited:
Keely at Soy & Shea is an excellent resource. Maybe it's just me, but it took me almost two months before I attempted any more than a single color or simple two-color layered soap.

And it's NOT stupid to add your FO before separating your colors, you just want to make sure you have a well-behaved fragrance and don't over blend. And your soap looks nice.

Only stupid because it was my first batch of soap, i had no idea if the FO accelerated and no experience at detecting trace. This second batch I added the FO very last thing and will continue to do that until I have a lot more experience.[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Back