my 1st votives test burn & maybe wick help?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden

Reaction score
My first votives. I used LX 12 wicks. IGI 4625 wax. 6% FO. I had no dye but intend to use it in the future when I get some. This size wick seemed to perform well as far as the melt pool at the1 hour mark, the 2 hour mark and the 4 hour mark. HOWEVER it need to be trimmed at about 1.5 -2 hour intervals. This wick is recommended on many candle supply sites for this wax & size of candle ...I realize that doesn't mean it is the right wick for this combo ...just a starting place.
The melt pool was what I read I should look for, at all intervals. But at 1.5 -2 hour intervals, the flame was a bit too high, began to flicker somewhat and produced a little soot. This was eliminated with a little trim. BUT, I should not have to trim wicks while it burning should I?
Does this indicate too large a wick? How much might the addition of dye impact this? As far as the LX wicks - I almost think that sizing down to the 10 would be too small (not to mention I can't even find them right now). I will try the 12 wick again when I receive my dye - but your thoughts would be appreciated. Any other recommendations would also be appreciated. The wick burned with a nice curl and no mushrooming. What alternate wicks can I try? I was thinking of CD 5 &/or HTP 41. The photos were taken on this candles 2nd burn at the 1.5 hour mark. Thanks in advance!

IMG_6770.JPG

IMG_6769.JPG

Last edited:
If you're having to trim it that early, I would try a smaller wick. If you can get the 10s, try that and see what happens.
If you're going to use dye, that can affect how they burn. Make sure you test each dye with the specific FO you intend to use it with. Don't put too much or it will clog the wick and put out the flame.

If you're having to trim it that early, I would try a smaller wick. If you can get the 10s, try that and see what happens.
If you're going to use dye, that can affect how they burn. Make sure you test each dye with the specific FO you intend to use it with. Don't put too much or it will clog the wick and put out the flame.
thanks very much - I plan to try the 12s again when I have dye ...meanwhile no luck finding the 10s except for a 100 pack with $12 shipping :/ ..hoping someone might make suggestions for other wicks to test or comment on the two I was thinking of

I don't have HTP 41 wicks but I do have the 52 size, and those might work. I bought them for 8oz jelly jars and they're too small for the wax I'm using them in (mostly soy with a little paraffin). You're using paraffin and it's been a long time since I've made all-paraffin candles, but you can always try the 41s just to compare.

Qunata, would you mind parting with a few of the 52s? I would buy a few if of it's not too much trouble. The company I am working on an order with does not have them.

I have looked online and I don't think anyone has them right now.

So I poked around a bit and eventually found out that they aren't available right now because the manufacturer is having to find new suppliers for their raw materials. Which means that when the new wicks are available they might be a little different than the old stock even though the number designations aren't changing. Only a handful of sources have old 52s in stock but are charging $20 plus shipping for 100 wicks. Ouch.

I bought mine on clearance some months ago, not knowing why they were on clearance. They just seemed like the right size, so I bought them. I bought two bags of 100 each so I'd have a decent supply in case they worked (I don't sell very many candles). If you still want a bag I can send you one, if you're in the US. I won't even charge you $20, lol. Just keep in mind these are old stock and won't be identical to the new ones when sellers get them back in.

If you're in the US, direct message me your address and I'll try to get it sent off on Monday when I'm running errands.

yeah I actually did find some LX 10s through Candlewic - yup, $20 shipping! I found one other source for 12 shipping, still more than I want to pay. And for testing, a 100-pk? Good point though, testing with old stock would really be a waste of time and money. I will PM you my address - and I would be happy to pay you for these. many thanks!

yeah I actually did find some LX 10s through Candlewic - yup, $20 shipping! I found one other source for 12 shipping, still more than I want to pay. And for testing, a 100-pk? Good point though, testing with old stock would really be a waste of time and money. I will PM you my address - and I would be happy to pay you for these. many thanks!
LX wicks are made by a different manufacturer and as far as I know, haven't experienced the same disruption in supply that HTP wicks have. When your supplier has the LX wicks again they should be the same wicks as before. The HTP 52s that I have are old stock and won't be the same once suppliers have them in stock again. Sorry for the confusion. Do you still want my 52s, since you won't be able to buy more that are identical to these that I have?

Okay lets not bother then ...it would be fruitless testing with them. I was thinking the LX wicks would be old stock - misunderstood you, lol ... I do appreciate your offer! Thanks so much!

Okay lets not bother then ...it would be fruitless testing with them. I was thinking the LX wicks would be old stock - misunderstood you, lol ... I do appreciate your offer! Thanks so much!
You're welcome.
I guess the best advice I have is test, test, test, and take good notes. Write down what you did and how it worked. Even switching to a different fragrance might require a different wick so write it all down so you remember what works together.

Latest posts

Back